Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2013 01:21:18 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar controller question..semi off topic.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Solar power gets a little tricky. There is the maximum voltage output, unloaded or "open circuit" and then as load is applied, (current drawn) the voltage will drop. That is why there is a rating of X volts at X amps.

Now the idea of the charge controller is to take that power and regulate it. You need to control the voltage under varying panel outputs and current loads. There are fixed controllers and then there are controllers designed to actually charge batteries.

You can't just go ahead and willy nilly put panels and charge controllers in series or even in combination. Ideally you want one controller sized to handle the maximum capacity of as many panels that you plan to get. Panels added in parallel should have match voltage outputs.

The 2nd controller should be able to manage both of those panels wired in parallel to the inlet. The more expensive units likely offer some additional functionality that justify the increased cost.

Dennis