Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:56:49 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Triple-A won't extricate you from just any old where
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Not only won't tow services get you but if something happens neither will most ambulances and your insurance won't cover you or the vehicle. You need to be cautious when going off road.

Dennis

From my phone. ________________________________ From: Jim Felder<mailto:jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎4/‎17/‎2013 10:37 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Triple-A won't extricate you from just any old where

This may have been covered before, and it is not strictly Vanagon content, but I was in a Vanagon last week when it happened to me.

Looking for places to get on a river, I naturally found myself under a bridge. I was a long day from home on a multi-day Westy trip to research rivers in part of my state. The surface I was on went from hard-packed to deep sand in one short moment, and I could not see it coming. The front wheels dropped down and quickly the back wheels had dug in. I had to dig out under the muffler for clearance to be extricated by a local who, because I travel with a very long tow strap, was able to pull me out from the hard packed road.

While locating a local, I called AAA, which has always provided me with really good service when I have needed it. "Can the service vehicle get to you without getting off the paved roadway?" I was asked. I replied that you couldn't even see the paved road from where I was. "We can't help you, thanks for choosing AAA today. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

I thought that I might ask her to pave the access road, but thought better.

Don't wander farther off the beaten path than your tow strap will reach. And don't tell me to buy a Syncro. Even the four-wheelers I encountered would not cross over to me on the soft sand.

: )

Jim