Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:09:10 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar controller question..semi off topic.
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Thank you all for the responses. I am going with the older style controller. I decided this because they're less expensive and because they aren't mentioned to have 'load protection' stuff involved.

For my energy needs I can get by with less sophistication and more simplicity. I've not had much luck with 'smart' battery chargers, etc...things that are supposed to have good traits, but usually end up being beyond my knowledge level and must be "tricked" in various ways to actually work. And very robust and durable is also important, as I have seen my solar panel blow around more times that I can remember...

For the most part I shall probably just continue to use my smaller (about 18" x 12"..no controller) panel that slips between the drivers seatback and the sink cab and has a lighter plug, with a hook to hang it off the rain gutters...In the Vanagon this is adequate to keep me in laptop, smart phone, sat. radio etc when on extended camping trips.

For that larger 75w panel I am going with a 10amp controller and it will become my mobile 12v power source for various vehicles around our place...vehicles that always seem to get dead batteries about as far from electrical outlets as can be done on 23ac of land.