Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:28:24 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Part out or Sell now No Lowly Vanagons
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com>

I agree...Basic is Better. "Lowly" might apply when it comes to what the collectors seem to be starting to go after...Westphalia Campers. So a non Westie might sell for 25% the cost of a Westie...lowly price.

But over the years I have had complete and fancy campers and they are never as good or as versatile as the ones without much at all inside. My current one has the stove/sink/water tank from a Westie and nothing more....That leaves me room enough for other things, other uses than just camping..

Just a few days ago I had 3 sailboards, 5 sails, all the rest of the gear for a day of windsurfing....and my bicycle stuff... all that gear inside. When the wind died down, I had some lunch inside, changed my 'costume' and got out the road bike for a ride. If I owned a Westie....I'd have had to tie all that gear on the roof...probably would have blown off since I drove home about 65 miles against a 60+ mph wind that was still blowing as I drove down river...

In a simple GL style van you can always toss a stove and ice chest inside and hit the road. But it's not so easy to take the cabinets out of a Westie to carry a sheet of plywood or perhaps a couple of full grown hogs....Not Harleys, real hogs.