Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Apr 2013 00:03:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mexico trip report
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>

Some of the best writing I have ever read. The 'voice' too .. feminine,safe-feeling, fun ...innocent even . 'Innocent' is one of the very highest qualities in my book. Couldn't have enjoyed reading it more ! super well written. A +. Awesome trip too of course. S.

On 4/14/2013 10:33 PM, OlRivrRat wrote: > Liz & John > > Sounds like you had nice trip ~ Thanks for the great report ~ Hope > you get the bugs worked out on your EJ25. How about giving a more > thorough description of the 70mphCutout it is doing ~ Kinda sounds > like it could be VSS related. > > ORR ~ DeanB > On 14 Apr , 2013, at 12:52 AM, John King wrote: > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> My wife, Liz, and I have owned our '87 Vanagon for a little over 3 >> years now. I've been reading the emails from this group for most of >> that time. Apart from my gathering much useful technical >> information, we have enjoyed reading the trip reports. So, after >> returning from a 6 week road trip down the west coast of mainland >> Mexico, Liz (the writer in our family) wrote up the following report: >> >> 4 years ago we were on a fly in vacation to Sayulita, a little beach >> town just north of Puerto Vallarta, and had a chance encounter the >> led us to this posting... >> >> We met a couple from Oregon who had driven down with their pop-top >> tent trailer and instantly knew "we want to do that!" Came home, >> bought a pop-top tent trailer... tried to love it but failed to >> bond. Sold the trailer and caught the Vanagon virus... and loved it >> ever since. After much time spent sorting out our lives and our >> Vanagon, this last Feb. 20 we headed out in our 1987 Syncro with >> Westy top transplant, named Ferd (after the kid's book Ferdinand the >> Bull)...accompanied by our 2 old and decaying (read stinky) lady >> black lab dogs. We had originally planned to accompany Mark Drillock >> and his group Vanagon trip down Baja then continuing on to the ferry >> over to mainland MX, but dogs became a complication, so we decided >> to strike out on our own. Next year Mark! We will find a place here >> for the dogs... Anyway... Tacoma WA to Sayulita...about 2600 miles >> one way. We were meeting friends in Sayulita on the 15th of March >> which gave us about 3 weeks to make the 6 day journey. Regarding >> Vanagon trips: I have read the phrase "just enough drama to make the >> trip interesting..." and it was only a matter of miles...like >> 20...before we had our first drama. The water temp as reported by >> the Scangauge (Ferd has a 2.5 Subie with OBD 2 connector) was >> reading way high...220 and creeping higher. WHAT? We were not even a >> half hour from home! It hovered around 225 at highest and would then >> back off a bit...we held our breath and drove on trying to get to >> warmer/dryer weather before changing the thermostat. For 2 days this >> went on...temp creeping up but never quite blowing Ferd up...and in >> time, just cured itself. Yeah! Hopefully just a sticky thermostat >> and not some blockage that moved elsewhere to trouble us later. >> >> We went down on 101 along the Oregon coast, camping the first night >> in the rain. First night out, who cares! We were on vacation and all >> was good. Along the coast one morning Ferd was making a new >> sound...the question "What is that sound?" became a constant refrain >> from each of us over the trip. This time it seemed to be coming from >> the top. We pulled over, checked it out and sheepishly snapped the >> top down. SOMEONE had not quite gotten the latch engaged and the top >> was just thinking about being blown upward as we motored down the >> road. Tragedy averted. Continued down the coast camping, dang...it >> was cold! Thinking about warm nights in Mexico, we had not brought >> warm enough bedding, and after spending one night in the redwoods >> sleeping in full hat, gloves, woolies and down parka under our sorry >> comforter....we realized we had to make an adjustment. Plugging in >> became a thought...we had brought a little electric space >> heater....where to plug in? Looking at KOA/RV parks became a new >> adventure and while I NEVER thought myself an RV or KOA kinda >> girl...more the pit toilet type...we went for it..... spent a great >> night in a KOA in the Healdsburg, CA area...hot tub under a full >> moon. Plotting our route became each morning's exercise... well, we >> had to camp where no Ferd camper has camped before. Like the KOA in >> Vegas on the strip....just behind Circus Circus. Not bad really, >> nice spot of dead grass right next to Ferd for the girl dogs to pee >> on, and we walked down the strip (once is enough) and saw the >> Beatles LOVE show. Surreal camping! One of the dogs peed on her bed >> just to agree with us I think...GET US OUT OF HERE! A long stretch >> of highway between Vegas and Phoenix had huge tumble weeds on either >> side....like the size of a fridgerator...and they would periodically >> blow across the road behind us, or way out in front. One particular >> weed had his way with us...rolling along to pass before Ferd's front >> INCHES from us as I cruised about 65 mph...kinda liquefied my >> innards to see something that big roll into my path. We go to the >> border after spending 8 nights on the road, camping all but one >> night when we stayed with friends in Phoenix. We tended to do 5ish >> hour drive days...no hurry. Enjoyed driving through Kings Canyon and >> Sequoia national parks, lovely camp spot along Lake Havasu...it was >> all good. We had purchased Mexican car insurance that took effect >> March 1st, so the night of Feb. 28th we settled in at our first >> hotel of the trip in Nogales, AZ, ready to cross the border the next >> am. We had 15 days to get to Sayulita, normally about a 3 day drive, >> so taking our time was the order of business....Hit the crossing at >> 6:20 am in the 29 degree cold air! It took us about 45 minutes and >> there were no lines at all. Paid, stamped, stickered and we were on >> our way in the creeping dawn, ready to tackle the Mexican roads. It >> was a bit hairy at first...trying to read the Church's Mexican >> Camping guidebook route....trying to read the Mexican road >> signs....trying to figure out where the lanes were...watching our >> speed ever so closely so not to be stopped, horror of horrors. As >> the day got brighter and we hit Hermosillo....it got a bit tense in >> the city driving with added sounds and chaos...but we kept cool and >> made it through without a miss, stopping at a big LEYS grocery to >> load up on food and beverages. First night camping at Islandia >> Trailer Park in Bahia de Kino. Nice place within easy walking >> distance to the fishing village of Viejo (old) Kino. Quiet spot, >> pulled up right to the beach...spent 2 nights. Sighs and >> smiles....we were camping in Mexico! Next stop was Guaymas/San >> Carlos at the Totonaka RV Park. A big place with some giant >> motorhomes. They gave us a nice spot with shade for the old dogs who >> were not quite ready for the instant hot weather we had transported >> them to. The park also gives you one of those coupons for a free >> margarita at the restaurant next door...and one (complimentary size) >> drink was just not enough, but the second (non-complimentary size) >> one was as big as my head and well...let's just say it was a long >> night and an even longer next day....but Tequila is still a good >> friend. We just respect each other. Headed to Huatabampito >> next...crossing over inland roads Ferd's outdoor air temp registered >> 101 degrees at one point...and we do not have working air >> conditioning and so the wind tunnel also known as Ferd zoomed along, >> all windows open, dog tongues panting, us either silent or shouting, >> truly shouting, at each other just to be heard. It was tiring and >> regrets about NOT spending money to fix that air conditioning were >> strong. About this time the last of the grease on the newish, >> urethane bushings must have melted away. Could they squeak any >> louder? Folks on the street actually turned and looked to see what >> all the racket was, and this is in Mexico! It was kinda >> embarrassing. John had tools along to disassemble and regrease them, >> but didn't really want to tackle it on the road since it was not in >> danger of breaking, just really annoying. Instead, he bought a can >> of WD-40 and discovered that each application stopped the squeaking >> for about 3 - 5 minutes of driving. Huatabampito...beautifully >> barren. No town, just some Mexican vacation homes and a big, empty >> beach. The economy, gas prices and fear of Mexican narcos has >> seemingly slashed the gringo RV camping in Mexico. Of the 36 spots >> at El Mirador....there was only one other vehicle. We pulled right >> up to the beach's edge and spent 3 quiet, lovely nights. Ate at the >> restaurant there one night, but otherwise camp cooked. There is >> nothing like cooking bacon barefoot in the sand, breathing salt air, >> and staring out over the ocean. >> On to Alamos, a wonderful colonial town founded in the 1680's. It is >> up in the mountains a bit and a nice change from the beach. I loved >> the town and its vibe...could see spending serious time here. We >> found a guy named Kelly roasting coffee at the Colonial Hotel. His >> methods were pure science and his product was magically perfect. I >> bought a kilo and am still brewing my cup with those grounds as of >> this morning. Two nights spent at Rancho Acosta...fairly quiet >> except for the kid group one evening, who must have been celebrating >> a birthday or something...they were fun to watch. We ate street >> tacos on the square and hiked up to the town overlook. I had one >> heart attack...happened to look up during my shower and quickly >> counted FIVE SPIDERS the size of the palm of my hand...did a OMG >> breath, started even, calming breathing and just did not look up >> again. I hate spiders. >> >> Next stop Celestino Gasca at the Celestino RV Resort. Resort is such >> a funny word...conjures up such tropical, sunny, happy, beachy >> scenes. This place was again, almost empty. Long empty beach, not an >> umbrella in sight..and windy to blow you right outa your car. We >> camped here one night and while the camp site was ok...the wind was >> fierce, so we kept heading south to the San Blas area... And stayed >> at Paraiso Miramar....a spot with the loveliest, big, old tree just >> on the edge of a large lawn atop the bank above the beach. >> Again...empty of campers. Where are all the people? We knew Easter >> was coming...and we had been hearing rumors...yes, places were empty >> of travelers from out of the country... yet every place we had been >> seemed to be preparing for some big influx of folk...painting was >> being done...roofing re-thatched. Yup...Semana Santa, the week >> prior to Easter was at the month's end and apparently it was when >> every Mexican person took the week off and schools were out and they >> all went to the beach. Hmmmm...never occurred to us we would be at >> the beach during the country's biggest beach party of the year. Oh >> boy. >> We got to Sayulita 2 days early on the 13th and settled into the >> Sayulita Trailer Park and Bungelows...camping spot #6 to wait for >> our friends Puerto Vallarta airport arrival on the 15th. We were in >> the very trailer park the folks we met 4 years earlier had been in >> when we met them and they set this dream in motion. Yee ha! We were >> so proud! and the dogs had lived...I had bet money on Frieda (who >> turns 15 in May) not living through the trip...but there she was. It >> was HOT in Sayulita...and our little camping spot did not catch much >> breeze...and while we had great fun with our friends, I missed the >> road and the adventure of the unknown. And honestly, I was feeling a >> bit cramped. I love Ferd for a road trip...but to spend more than >> about 3 nights in one place...I need a bit more room. One of the >> smart things we planned for was the dogs sleeping space. Early in >> the trip they slept (and scratched and burped and farted) In the van >> with us. It was tight...but we managed. In the warmer climates we >> set up a cheap backpacking tent outside of the van. It was their >> kennel..and it gave us a daytime place to put them for their >> frequent naps and night time place for them to sleep...best 50 bucks >> spent. They are too old and frail to push their way out of even a >> cheap tent. Nearing the end of our two weeks in Sayulita...our group >> was getting restless. A virus had hit and most of us took turns >> being sick. The beach and town were filling up as the holiday >> weekend neared...and so we all just left early. Friends flew out and >> we took off on the 27th and headed north at break neck speeds...made >> it to the border in 3 days and while we thought we were nuts to show >> up at the border on Friday evening of Easter weekend...there was ONE >> car in front of us and we were through in minutes and back at that >> Nogales AZ hotel where I took one fantastic shower. From there we >> made tracks home...hoteling it the entire way (2 more nights). Ferd >> did his usual drama...we have an engine cut out problem that had >> occurred from time to time at home and a couple of times earlier on >> the trip down...but now seemed to be the chosen drama of the day. On >> our last day's drive the engine momentarily cut out 15 times...and >> cruising at 70mph...it is a bit disconcerting. Both of us kept >> yelling at Ferd that we had to make it home and then he could just >> let go. We were wondering if both Ferd and the dogs would just >> expire once we hit our driveway. But they all lived. And lived >> well....what an adventure! What fun it was. And the truth is, if we >> had traveled in some moterhomemothership type of vehicle...it would >> have just been a plain trip. No drama. But in this treasured van, >> this van with more personality that a lot of people I know....the >> trip took on a quality that is untouchable. I loved it. I am a >> road trip warrior girl....as long as my handy and ever positive >> (that noise..? it is nothing to worry about) husband is along for >> the ride. We will be doing Glacier and the Canyonlands area this >> Sept....and looking for dog care before we leave! >> >> >