Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:48:27 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Triple-A won't extricate you from just any old where-And
              Forget Good Sam Too!
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

In Arkansas I had to use AAA to get my camper to a repair facility. I was in some little town 75 miles east of Fort Smith, and there were shops there. I asked the AAA driver where he would take it if he were me. He recommended a place in Fort Smith, and there we went, midnight. He left the van in front of the shop and I slept in it. When the shop owner came in, he wanted no part of it. I scrambled around, found a VW dealer which said it could handle the problem, and AAA took it there without crediting the second tow against my tows for a year.

The dealer fixed the problem, too. Our VW dealer here in Oklahoma City, Cable Volkswagen, simply says the Vanagon is an obsolete vehicle and will not touch them, period. Can't get many parts from them, either.

mcneely

---- Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > If I recall, there is something about "closest repair facility" in the fine > print of the AAA agreement, but several times I have needed them to look > the other way and they have done so. I guess the distinction is if you are > talking to the person that answers the phone at AAA, you'll get the book > thrown at you. When you are there in the cab with the driver, talking about > how he loves VW vans and such that you get a different, expanded set of > rules. > > Jim > > > On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:38 AM, J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net> wrote: > > > Been meaning to post this for a while. Good Sam had done the same for me > > too, towing a newly acquired non-running '75 Westy about 60 miles to my > > house. But, a few months ago my daughter's '98 Beetle had a coolant hose > > blow out while she is away from home at school. I had her call Good Sam, > > from whom I still had (at extra cost) 100 mile towing. I wanted the car > > towed back to her school parking lot, about 9-10 miles. The driver (and > > Good Sam) refused to tow it more than two miles because they said that the > > "closest repair facility", which for all I know could have been a gas > > station. I had to pay extra to get it towed back to the school parking lot. > > I had been a member of Good Sam for about 15 years and had never had a > > problem before. I cancelled my Good Sam membership and now have AAA. I had > > always recommended Good Sam, but no more. Jeff Stewart ----- Original > > Message ----- > > > In a message dated 4/17/2013 10:50:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > > > ddbjorkman@VERIZON.NET writes: > > > Reminds me of the time when I took my VW bug out on a forest road > > > years > > > ago. I came across a small stream with a couple of beams across it. > > > I > > > checked the distance between the beams against my wheel base and it > > > seemed OK, > > > and was until I got into the middle and the beams slid together > > > leaving me > > > stranded with all 4 wheels suspended above the stream. > > > AAA did come to get me, but charged me for the chain saw work they had > > > to > > > do to get the tow truck close enough to the Bug to get the winch line > > > to me. > > > ill never forget the time i called AAA to bring home a freebie '75 > > > westy > > > that i acquired for parts. the driver actually dragged it out of a > > > field, > > > aired up the tires, and towed it home for me, even stopping to change > > > the > > > dryrotted tire that blew out on the freeway. this was prolly 15 or > > > so > > > years ago... i seriously doubt they do something like that now... :) > >

-- David McNeely