Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:17:38 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Triple-A won't extricate you from just any old where-And
              Forget Good Sam Too!
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

---- Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > ​I should have jumped in on this thread a couple of days ago but let me add > this late. Although AAA won't pull you out of a back road/dirt road > situation your insurance company might, depending on the circumstances. >

Well, that would depend on whether you have collision coverage, and the vehicle is stuck due to an accident, I imagine.

FWIW, here is the list of benefits AAA provides:

http://tinyurl.com/bru6na4

I also spoke with a AAA representative in Oklahoma. I was told that the policy is, AAA will send the truck. Then the driver has the option of refusing to attempt the extrication if he feels that he cannot do so safely or without getting the winch truck itself stuck. The truck must be able to reach the vehicle from a surface that will support the winch vehicle. It does not have to be a hard paved surface, but does have to be a "maintained" roadway. The representative said the policy is the same throughout the U.S.

So, Jim's dispatcher was supposed to send the truck out, and the driver was supposed to make the call as to whether he or she could manage the job. If not, and you can get another extrication service to extricate you, then you should get a receipt and file for reimbursement, which AAA should pay.

I did not read my contract to be sure the reimbursement option is included, but the dispatcher volunteered that as an option if the dispatched truck elects not to perform the work because of difficulty of reaching the vehicle.

Road does not have to be hard paved, or a named public road. It just has to be able to support the service vehicle.

David