Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Apr 2013 23:57:33 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Triple-A won't extricate you from just any old where
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

On a trip aback up the Alaska highway - between Dawson Creek and Anchorage - I blew out 6 tires, I had traveled with extras to be prepared - but when that last one blew - about 50 miles out of Palmer, Alaska - I had to leave the van and hitch-hike into Palmer to get to a phone. It was 4 am in the morning when a traveler saw me and stopped - took me to Palmer. There I called an uncle in Anchorage and he rounded up a tire and brought it to me and then we went up to change the tire. That was quite a trip that year. Most times I've never even had a single flat - and back then it was all gravel road. Nowadays it's paved all the way.

Better prepared than sorry, however. May people making that trip weren't and have horror stories to tell. Ever hear the song "40 Miles of Bad road?" Well, the Alaska Highway back in the day was 1450 miles of bad road!!

John

On 4/18/2013 9:44 PM, Alistair Bell wrote: > Around here it you get out of cell coverage quickly, so if you're stuck, you are on your own. I take my bike when I go on solo trips, for some reason I think I need it more then than when travelling with another person. Makes no sense does it? :) > > The places we like to go are at least a half days walk from any kind of help. Unless there are loggers around. Years ago we were helped by loggers when my old '72 westy got 3 flats on a trip. I had only 2 spare with me. We were exploring the Carmanah watershed, before the area was protected and during the time the logging company was pushing a road in to the area fast. Very sharp, newly blasted rock on the road. Anyhoo, after one night in the flatted van, some of the Monday morning crew took me and 3 wheels into camp and they were able to patch 2 of the tires and get me back to the van. Those loggers were great guys. > > I try to be cautious when we go on backroad/logging road trips. I still bend bits of the van and scratch up the paint, but I don't try the things you see other syncro owners doing. Mind you, many of the syncro shenanigans you hear or see on you tube are done in relative safety - ie close to help or with other vans. > > > alistair > h > > > > > On 2013-04-18, at 7:15 PM, neil n wrote: > >> I think you're right! ;) >> >> This is an interesting thread. From the POV of a Canadian with the >> Premier BCAA package, it seems the bottom line is that if you're stuck >> somewhere off the beaten path, you're on your own. I've *kind of* >> always known this which is why I carry too many spare parts. (though >> I've pared that down) >> >> before: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bjtIka5N7cA/SsPYQZtK8ZI/AAAAAAAABqo/a1RvbdgwAXs/s720/SparePartsTooMuch.jpg >> >> after: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4FBcDOf8bjo/SsPYQVVXRcI/AAAAAAAABqs/9ZV7IQ96hR0/s720/SparePartsLess.jpg >> >> But. The comment on a bike is a good one. I should at least travel >> with a folding bike. >> >> Neil. >