Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:54:32 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Kickstarter to drive a Westy across China
Comments: To: Karl Mullendore <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM>

Karl, thank you, thank you, thank you. That was sort of the intention of my suggesting that they might make a book deal if they pursued it. I did not go further in part because I did not want to incur the wrath of list members who feel differently. But after all, it is their adventure.

Of course, to ask others for money is a common and well respected practice in many fields of endeavor, including my own in science. But we usually have to justify the request with some evidence of greater benefit.

In this instance, they have justified themselves sufficiently for Kickstarter. But then again, Kickstarter seems to be a for profit organization.

mcneely

---- Karl Mullendore <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM> wrote: > Maybe I am just an old curmudgeon - but if I was doing this trip, I wouldn't > be begging for others to support me in doing that which I wasn't prepared to > pay for. There are literally thousands of more deserving charities I'll send > money directly to first. I have been supporting another [originally > Westy-traveling] couple in their endeavors: http://www.escuelacaracol.org/ > This young couple drove through Central America after purchasing one of my > customer's 1987 Westies. After seeing the dire need for education and > schools in a particular area in Guatemala, they (Waldorf teachers) opened a > school using almost no funds, after returning home to VA and selling the > Westfalia. They are truly making something happen to better the lives of so > many families while living an amazing and fulfilling life of their own. I am > considering a bigger donation in the near future - half a year or more of my > own time. So, in my opinion - don't travel if you don't have the funds. I > guess you can't blame them for trying.

-- David McNeely