Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Apr 2013 20:51:22 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
              ignored.
Comments:     Resent-From: "tom ring" <taring@taring.org>
Comments:     Originally-From: "tom ring" <taring@taring.org>
From:         tom ring <taring@TARING.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Solar controller question..semi off topic.

Yep, MPPT is the way to go. I have 180 watts on my van and use an MPPT controller.

The big difference is this -

Simple on/off controller is roughly 40% efficient

Pulse width might get you 50%

A decent MPPT can get you 90 to 97%

MPPTs do a magic thing - their power in is almost equal to power out but the volts and amps are fiddled with. So 18 volts (roughly where solar panels are most efficient) at 12 amps input can be converted to almost 18 amps at 12 volts charge current (where the battery might want a charge right now). And they adapt to power delivered and charge needed second by second.

An MPPT at $250 is roughly equal to about the cost of a good 90 or 120 watt panel and can save you that much or a lot more in solar panel money spent.

I currently use a Solar Boost 2000e which will handle 25 amps and is 94 to 97% efficient for my system. It also will equalize the battery system, has temperature compensation and can be set for optimum base battery voltage.

And on amps, make sure when you size an MPPT controller you pay attention to whether it's X amps in or X amps out. I bought a cheap one ($100) for my 180 watts of panels and neglected to pay attention to that. It was 10 amps in but ended up almost 15 out which burned up the 10 amp out MPPT controller.

I can't say too many good things about Solar Boost products. They are great.

One disclaimer, if you are a ham radio operator and run HF from the van, buy some decent ferrite chokes, these things can be a bit noisy.

tom

Never attribute to engineers that into which politicians, lawyers, accountants, and marketeers have poked their fingers. -----------------------------------------