Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Apr 2013 08:11:13 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Steel rod sticking out of side of rear seat

Below is a message from Bill on how he fixed the steel rod problem in the rear seats. While he sent the original message only to me, after emailing him, he meant to send it to the list and said I could share it with everyone. You can see from his "fix" for his current Westy that he was serious about fixing this issue.

I am not certain exactly how I will proceed but after looking at all suggestions I will come up with something to try. If it works, I will post what I did.

Harold

Harold Teer 1991 Westy -- VANGAUX Harrisonburg, VA

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Bill Monk <billmonk@gmail.com> Date: Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM Subject: Re: Steel rod sticking out of side of rear seat To: Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@gmail.com>

Harold I first put tape around the hole to protect the fabric. Made sure I could pull the rod out and push it back in with no issues. Then I ran glue up the couple inches of the rod as I was only brave enough to pull it out a little. Slid it back in and the. Pushed a couple pieces of small foam with glue on them to seal the hole up. This was on a Westy I no longer have but it worked for at least two years. On my current Westy I pulled the seat apart and drilled a couple holes in the rod to put a piece of "safety" string through it and then sewed it to the foam. I also reinforced where it was just getting ready to poke through with a layer of vinyl between the seat foam and cloth.

Bill M 87 Westy Zetec turbo