Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:35:41 -0400
From:         Bill Monk <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headlights
Comments: To: "Art A." <awa0330@GMAIL.COM>

Art The headlights on the 86-up vans has been an issue for a long time. First is the wiring that powers the headlights is quite long and as it ages

gets worse. It also puts a strain on the headlight switch and has caused a lot of them to fail by melting or burning up. Putting in higher wattage bulbs without any changes to the wiring is a recipe for disaster. The good news is there are relay kits that are very simple to install that will protect your switch and allow you to run higher wattage bulbs. I also suggest that you change the ground to the headlights. Right now it's on the ground star to the left of your fuse box. I would remove your

grill and cut that ground wire. Install a small ring connector and ground

them near the lights. A problem that still exists even after doing the above relays is that the headlight lenses on the housing have a poor pattern because of the DOT standards at the time. Even with high watt bulbs the light that is cast on the road is poor but still much better than stock. There are replacements that look the same but were used in Europe that also use an H4 bulb. They can be hard to find and when you do are pretty expensive. You could convert to an earlier style grill (80-85) with the round headlights and use E-code lights. There is also a South African grill kit available new that put four round lights on the front. I believe the best deal right now is from bus depot.

I would suggest sending Jay Brown an email as he sells the relays and wiring kits to upgrade what you got or install the SA kit. I don't have his email handy at the moment but will send it to you later. This is a very common problem and if your having issues finding info in the archives perhaps a google search will return more.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone