Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2013 01:22:31 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 Vanagon removing/installing flex plate & torque converter
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Scott, As a reminder on the 2.1 engines the rear main bearing does not have the thrust surfaces on it. The thrust is taken up by the spacers against the case on both sides. Your test won't work. If the o-ring on the flywheel/flex plate is good no oil will reach the bolts unless the works comes loose. Loc-tite will prevent the fasteners from loosening but if they are good and properly torqued the loc-tite is not needed. If the bolts or threads in the crank should yield the "connection" will still fail, just that the bolts won't fall out. Still not a bad thing to use.

Dennis