Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2013 13:08:19 -0400
From:         Harold Teer <teer.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Steel rod sticking out of side of rear seat
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

<RE: Rod Sticking Through Upholstery <I've been readin this thread out of curiosity because I've never encountered this problem either in my '84 Westy or my '90 Westy. And I've been driving and using my '90 for over <10 years now. Sop, was this problem fixed in later models or have I just been lucky. For info I can't remember ever having passengers in the rear seat for more that a hour or <two.few miles. Could that be the difference?

Loren,

My van with the problem is a 91 and I have owned it since Dec '95 and have driven it over 100,000 miles without the back seat being used while the van is in motion. Ninety-nine percent of the time spent in our van is while taking extended trips of 2 weeks to 3 months but the back seat is used a lot while camped and eating meals, looking at maps, reading, etc. In the last 10 months, since my wife retired, we have spent over 100 nights in the van so the back seat has seen a lot of sitting.

Even if not fixed, I can just be diligent about checking for the rod and pushing it back in when needed. However, I would like to fix the issue permanently so I can worry about other van issues and fix them as they arise.

In a private message someone suggested using expanding foam which adds to my toolbox of ideas for a permanent solution.

Harold

Harold Teer 1991 Westy -- VANGAUX Harrisonburg, VA