Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:45:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling system hose diagram
Comments: To: Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>

right .. didn't think that you might not have caughtthat yet ... ..it points right on syncro, ( since gas tank is forward of there. ) forward on 2WD. piece o' cake. did you test clutch operation at the clutch pedal yet I wonder. I've seen people work *hours* connecting up anengine.. only to find out when they go to start it something is wrong with the clutch.

if it still has syncro muffler and muffler holding bracketson the engine. as mentioned , those are different on a syncro. Muffler will be too high up into the body if 2WD parts are not used. I was able to leave the syncro J pipe on though recently.

air intake boot should be the 2WD one , not the syncro one..it's taller.

On 4/21/2013 4:37 PM, Steve Cotsford wrote: > Well I found after looking at several pics, that the thermostat cover on the engine was 90 degrees off. By rotating it so the big hose nipple points towards the front of the van, all became suddenly much clearer. Now I remember why I wanted pictures of a complete installation. Piece by piece its coming together however. > > Steve > > > On Apr 21, 2013, at 7:14 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > >> Hi steve.. >> The coolant pressure bottle - Two outlets on it. >> it's the same part for all 86 and later waterboxer vanagon, 2WD and syncro. >> >> I just leave that spacer in place behind the rear main seal, though I don't see any purpose for it ..... >> make sure it does not slip down out of place putting rear main seal in. >> >> that big hose going over trans .. >> auto trans has a branch coming off for AT oil cooler ....you don't need that one. >> I'd expect that one to be in a diagram, like BD's. >> It's shown on page 19.11 in Bentley. >> >> small hose ...likely heater hose I'd think. >> there are small hoses in that area going to the bleed rail around the top of the engine compartment also. >> >> it's always risky to test-fit things loosely .. >> as it increases missing tightening something in the end .. >> but I'd do that ...prototype connect everything . >> Pretty much there are no gotcha's like if you didn't do X before Y you're screwed. >> but always watch out for that on VW's , especially the engine. >> >> >> On 4/21/2013 3:21 PM, Steve Cotsford wrote: >>> The hoses that have been cut are :- >>> 1) a very large hose that connects to fore and aft line on rt side of transmission then goes across top of transmission and I think connects to the thermostat housing. >>> 2 ) a smaller diameter hose in that same general area and route that is tie wrapped to the big one. >>> >>> The distributor tower looks intact and the only hose missing there is the hose that goes from the bottom of that tower to the rt side cyl head. >>> >>> I am also missing the coolant reservoir (not the one close to the number plate door). Does it only have 1 hose going to it? I believe it has a level sensor also as I have found a two wire cable hanging close by. >>> >>> I have a Haynes manual also which actually does better in that area than the Bentley. >>> I am looking for a diagram that would give part numbers also as I need to make a shopping list. >>> >>> Another question: I have removed the rear crankshaft seal behind the flywheel. I has a very thin sort of metal ring that must space the original seal of the base off its seating by about 8-10 "thousandths. How essential is this part? I have never seen any thing like it before. >>> >>> Thanks, Steve >>> >>> On Apr 21, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >>> >>>> hi .. >>>> first thing you should know then Steve is that 2WD manual trans 86 to 91's do not all have the exact same hoses. >>>> >>>> the one variation I can think of right now, and maybe the only one is ... >>>> the coolant distributor tower behind the firewall on the right side. >>>> there are two versions. >>>> it might be one for 86 and the rest is 87 and up. It's a little confusing. Van Cafe says to get the part # off your old one. They can just disintegrate sometimes, btw. - that large plastic part. >>>> >>>> it depends on where the hose coming off the right front of the cylinder head goes to, on the coolant distribution tower. >>>> two versions, for that hose, and for the coolant tower there. >>>> >>>> Perhaps be more specific about what your actual problem/issue or hose issue is and we can help you better. >>>> >>>> Scott >>>> >>>> On 4/21/2013 1:55 PM, Steve Cotsford wrote: >>>>> I'm looking for a good diagram for the cooling system.....86-91 WBX 2wd manual. >>>>> >>>>> The Bentley manual shows part of it. I find the Bus Depot diagrams quite confusing. Is there a better diagram online somewhere? >>>>> >>>>> I have some hoses that have been cut and I need to track down their part numbers. >>>>> >>>>> Thanks for any help. >>>>> >>>>> Steve