Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:58:32 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cooling system hose diagram
Comments: To: Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>

At 06:21 PM 4/21/2013, Steve Cotsford wrote: >The hoses that have been cut are :-

Steve, what year are we talking about?

>1) a very large hose that connects to fore and aft line on rt side >of transmission then goes across top of transmission and I think >connects to the thermostat housing.

Has to be 025 121 062 E if you have manual trans.

>2 ) a smaller diameter hose in that same general area and route that >is tie wrapped to the big one.

I'm guessing (inch-plus hose, yes?) 251 121 058 A, from large nipple on top of coolant manifold across to thermostat housing.

That hose will depend on which manifold (tower) you have. If you can get the p/n from it that will simplify things. The basic story is that early 2.1l up through VIN ------24-H-022956 use different manifold (251 121 438 and 438 A) for manual and automatic. After that they both use 438 B with the nipple to the head located differently and the transmission cooler on the automatic is fed by a fantastically expensive special hose instead of an extra nipple on the distributor. The two earlier manifolds use 251 121 130 A to the cylinder head; the later one uses 130 B. But if the manifold has been replaced it may not be the same one originally installed.

>I am also missing the coolant reservoir (not the one close to the >number plate door). Does it only have 1 hose going to it? I >believe it has a level sensor also as I have found a two wire cable >hanging close by

Two hoses, coolant actively circulates through it (and it's a bubble trap that bleeds off into the overflow tank). It has a level sender and O-ring screwed in the top, a couple of s/s pins insulated except for the bottom few millimeters.

>I have a Haynes manual also which actually does better in that area >than the Bentley. >I am looking for a diagram that would give part numbers also as I >need to make a shopping list. > >Another question: I have removed the rear crankshaft seal behind >the flywheel. I has a very thin sort of metal ring that must >space the original seal of the base off its seating by about 8-10 >"thousandths. How essential is this part? I have never seen any >thing like it before.

I think you're looking at an oil slinger (or as VWAG calls it, oil thrower) p/n 025 105 241. It's the front line of defence, keeps the seal from being flooded. I'm not an engine builder, but I'd say it's important.

Yours, David