Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:40:50 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speaking of cooling issues ...
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MYMTS.NET>

Hi Jeff, normal to need to replace the t-stat eventually ..if it runs cooler than it did. Cooler is not better ..fully up to temp is.

it's a bother on a 1.9 wbxr ......and hopefuly no rusted/stuck t-stat housing bolts on your engine. 19's do that. Assuming you have a 2.1 long block running 85 1.9 type cooling system. ( btw, on my own such rig I have added a 2.1 typoe engine oil cooler/ heat exchanger even though I am running a 1.9 cooling system. The 2.1 exhaust system required to do that. After I added that oil cooler and Water Wetter ...my temp guage acts like it's glued in place on trips., right in the middle. )

One cooling system part you might at least beaware of .. I have not had a problem with one ever, but ...............the auto trans oil cooler/heat exchanger. They can fail allowing fluids in the wrong places. I think I've sold two good used ones in 7 yrs or so.

there are alternatives to that part .. the lastest is called an auto trans Heat Sink for Vanagons ..might be FAS that sells them. Easy to find in a google search.. I have an email with a link I saved for that.

rear heater cores leak of course ...I recommend keep valve on it at least half way open to keep fresh coolant flowing through it, that helps. or replace or remove it . Hopefully you will not need a front heater core ever. Some vanagons do though. There's only about 160 cooling system parts throughout the van.

the voltage stabizer on the dash ..super easy to replace. Worth trying for a wonky fuel gauge. Grounds come to mind also.

Sounds like you have kids ..how many and how old are they ? joking ..in case anyone thinks I missed it ...had to give you a hard time for mentioning it again. I'msure you're real proud . Congrats !

Main coolant pipes are new ? Big job unless the gas tank is out. 85's can have metal or , later...plastic main coolant pipes ..and if original, they have a 'handy' failure mode.. metal inserts slip out of the ends of the plastic pipes causing a serious and difficult to jury rig, sometimes, leak.

I have a just cherry 85 Westy I'm working on here...local owners got it from Arizona.. even there is no rust anywhere on the body/chassis .. the main coolant metal pipes and metal power steering pipes are very rusty. I'm a nut about rust , can you tell ? lol. Scott turbovans

On 4/21/2013 6:53 PM, Jeff Palmer wrote: > 85 Westfalia GL, automatic. 2.1L Boston Bob replacement a couple of years back. 300k kilometres, less than 10 on the Boston Bob. Motor is five, my oldest daughter is four :) > > I'm pretty much on top of maintenance, but reactive rather than proactive when it comes to bigger items. Now that I have two daughters 2 and 4 though it probably makes sense to start replacing things that haven't been replaced before. > > I did have a scare a couple of years ago when on a long highway trip the coolant light started flashing. Temp gauge was ok. No appearance of coolant loss in either tank. So I carried on my merry way with no issues for the next 3000 km. Iron Bridge Ontario if I recall - think there's a vanagon dude around there these days. > > I assume it was a sender/sensor of some sort? > > So it sounds like my original radiator is probably due for replacement. I've been good about replacing coolant every couple of years and I've never had any issues. I've replaced the coolant lines and water pump somewhat recently. > > If I'm replacing the radiator, is there anything else I should replace at the same time? Other hoses etc? > > Maybe the thermostat? > > I should also mention that the van used to run with the needle right on the blinking light, but now it's a bit low. Also the fuel gauge never quite hits "F" anymore either. I think that sounds like a voltage regulator issue if I recall? I did order that part but haven't replaced it yet. Did I mention two kids 2 and 4? > > Thanks again > Jeff in Winnipeg