Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:18:29 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Part out or Sell - your opinions
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

If it's actually running and can be test driven, list it on Craigslist locally for $900 and see what happens. If nothing, then list it again with the title "Parting out running '85 Vanagon, test the parts you want NOW before it's too late!" Or, if they aren't paying attention at CL, list it both ways at the same time. Use a different email address for each ad though or you might get busted for cross posting.

Happy selling!

Stuart '85 Westy

I have a friend who has an '85 GL hard top he is looking to get rid of. It's just a thought at this point and he is debating selling it as is or parting it out.

We've already done some quick and dirty math - and it's worth more $ as parts. Still, it's a tough decision and I told him I'd get the general thoughts of the list for him.

Details: '85 GL hard Top Original Engine - 100k-125k Miles Manual Trans

Good: New Stainless Coolant pipes Great condition Tan Interior (GL rear seat and also a bed seat from an '86) New Brakes New Gas Tank and seals Good trans No coolant leaks Good Running engine (but there are some issues see below)

Bad: Seam rust is getting a bit significant Major oil leak (could be main seal - not sure A bit crusty (rusty) underneath from sitting) Needs exhaust work (j-pipe rusted through) Hasn't been driven regularly in about 5-7 years - mostly sitting

I know geography can effect these types of decisions too - we are in Michigan - So the rust issue might be perceived as terrible in other places - for this area I'd say it's mild to medium.

I would never consider parting out a Vanagon in most situations - this one however is boarderline. It's absolutely worth more as parts and scrap than as a whole. Just looking for your insight :)

Thanks,

Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus