Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 2013 21:34:33 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Possible...Overheating-Rebuilding engines.
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

I rebuilt my first lawn mower engine at 13. Had a plastic wheel part left over that I didn't know its purpose. Engine ran fine for about a 1/2 hour. Turns out the wheel splashed oil on the piston. I learned to pay attention to detail and ask questions. I did get it to run again. I think I paid $3 for the mower which had a broken connecting rod. So I replaced the rod. After it seized I replaced the rings. Cleaned the gouges off that cylinder wall with sand paper. It smoked pretty good! Sold that mower for $25 got most of my money back.

At 15 rebuilt the engine in the family's 67 Bus! Over the next two years learned the value of a torque wrench.

Dennis