Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 2013 21:10:59 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Possible...Overheating-Rebuilding engines. Car experiences!
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

This may be a story more for Friday but here goes. Both of my parents grew up in Brooklyn, my Father was the first the learn to drive. I was in kindergarten and I can still remember him taking driving lessons. This was in 1965. His first cars was 1961 Ford Falcon. I recall it regularly breaking down in the city. In 1966 my parents bought a home in Islip NY. That car was now required transportation. My mom learned to drive a short time after, got a job and the car was used for both to get to work. The engine in that car went and since my dad had so much bad experience he traded it for a brand new Mercury Comet. Three years later the transmission went. They couldn't afford to have it fixed so traded up again for the Torino wagon. My dad awful proud of that car with the V8 and disc brakes. This from someone that couldn't change a tire! I remember we were on a trip in New Jersey and the rear axle had something go so wrong you could feel the heat inside the car. After that my mom fell asleep behind the wheel and ran the car into a telephone pole. So with little money and no mechanical skills my dad decided to get a Beetle. The next year the now family of six did a trip to lake George in that Beetle. A few weeks later my dad came home with a 67 bus as our 2nd and the travel van. That beetle was passed to my sister and then to her brother in law. That $1,800 car served the family until 1996. The Bus became mine in 1978. I sold it in 1981 as it was just too far gone with Rust. I started working on both those cars at around 13 and did my first engine in the bus. The Beetle threw a rod at ~ 120k. I rebuilt the replacement engine many years later. The bus seemed to need engine work about every 40-50K. it liked to burn valves. Those two VW's were my early training vehicles. My mom placed a lot of trust in me. That bus was replaced by 70, then a 72, then I moved onto Vanagons. With the Vanagons I had to make the transition from engine rebuilding to transmission rebuilding. Of the Vanagons I have owned I bought one that needed an engine but otherwise the worst I have had to do was heads on my current passenger Syncro. I am now driving FUN BUS after a long hiatus for it to get body work and paint. I have been driving it to-from work for almost two weeks. It now has over 255K and the engine has never been opened. It has traveled up and down the East Coast countless times. In 1993 it went from New to California and in 1993 it went to Alaska. Somehow I just cannot knock this engine. If only the transmission was as robust.

Dennis