Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:51:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning CV
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

That method sounds great to me. I would add ... when practical, put the better CV joints toward the transmission, since in my experience they wear more due to running hotterthere. Also ....before removing axles mark which side is which and which way they rotate. so you can, if you keep track of it all ....install axles so CV joints are being driven the other way .. like rotating tires sort of ...though its confusing/tricky .. and is well documented on the internet. I'd see if Van Cafe has a write-up onit.

if boot is intact .. I'd be tempted to do the dip cleaning process with CV joint still on the axle. just slide the boot way up .. Be careful that the joint doesn't turn and balls fall out. I made a special jig just to prevent that when the joint it not attached to a boot.

scott turbovans

On 4/22/2013 11:10 AM, Jim Felder wrote: > Here's what I do: Get two one-pound coffee cans. Three CV joints will fit > in one can. Put them in the cans carefully to keep the joints intact and > cover them with lacquer thinner. Cover with the plastic snap-on lids, and > shake every few hours. Pull out your clean ball joints about 24 hours > later. Pour a little lacquer thinner over them as a final rinse, or rinse > in a pan of lacquer thinner. Repack and you are ready to reinstall. > > Jim > > > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com> wrote: > >> I finally got to starting the clutch replacement on Gertie ('85, 1.9) >> >> When I got the axles removed fromt he trans I discovered that the passenger >> side CV seems to have some pretty old grease in it. ANy suggestions on the >> best way to clean that up and prepare it for adding some fresh grease - >> Without disassembling it. I mean I can figure it out on the basic side but >> is there anything I shouldn't do - or anything specific I should do? >> >> The Driver side looked fine and has some nice clean grease in it. >> >> Advice as always is appreciated. >> Thanks, >> >> Jeff >> '85 GL (Gertie) >> '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus >>