Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:52:17 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake pedal goes to the floor
Comments: To: Craig Cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

Craig, your master cylinder is exhibiting "bypass." The piston is worn or the cylinder itself is worn, and allows fluid to bypass the piston. The pump-up phenomenon is characteristic, as the parts expand a bit with frictional heating, or so I have been told. At any rate, the symptom is classic.

The part should be warranted by the seller. A bad new part is not unheard of.

mcneely

---- Craig Cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Hey gang. > Last summer I had a problem with my master cylinder in my syncro, or so I > thought. The pedal would "Sometimes" go all the way to the floor but could > pump up to build pressure. Other times it would work fine. > Anyway, I replaced the master cylinder, bled the system and all was well. > > Well now about 1000 miles later, i've got the same symptoms occurring. The > fluid level has not gone down, so I don't have a leak. It feels as though > something has blown out and is allowing a piston somewhere in the system to > move freely. I'm thinking it's the master again, but it sure is weird to > kill two as quickly as I have. > > Any thoughts? > When the pedal works, it's firm and functional. But sometimes I get a firm > pedal, and while keeping my foot on the pedal it slowly moves towards the > floor. > > -Craig Cowan

-- David McNeely