Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:37:38 -0500
From:         raceingcajun <raceingcajun@COMMUNICOMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Undoing the big nut on the upper ball joint - who knows how?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Dennis,

I don't think I would recommend opening the brake system to a "novas" technicition (said with all respect)! I think the bigger picture here is, what is actually wrong with the Van. The noise as described does not sound like a wheel bearing to me. You would think a wheel bearing would be more of a roar increasing with speed to a certain point, not a "Click - Click" on slowing down. "Dan", you don't say where you are located. I would be glad to take a look see, if your close enough. Please state your general location, and I'm sure myself or another list member would be glad to give you a little helpful nudge in the right direction!

Howard

"In the land of fast cars, good looking Women, and the worlds best Gumbo, not to mention a couple of Volkswagens held together with bailing wire, "duck tape", and a few cuss words (in Cajun French of course)"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:11 AM Subject: Re: Undoing the big nut on the upper ball joint - who knows how?

I forgot about the 2WD having that bracket hold the brake line. A large box wrench will be the set offense to get that nut lose. Another alternative is to disconnect the brake line.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

According to the manual, I have to remove the calliper.

To remove the calliper, I have to: i) Remove the pads (tick) ii) Remove the bracket which holds the brake cable in place (which is affixed to the vehicle using the big ball joint bolt).

It seems to make sense when I look at it.

Do you have another plan?

Thanks!

-Dan

There is absolutely no reason to disconnect the upper ball joint to service a wheel bearing unless you are working on a Syncro.

Dennis

Hi All,

For some time now, I've been noticing a click-click-click noise when I drive my 1982 T3.

It's usually only noticeable when I'm coasting, and gets louder as I decelerate harder.

It's clearly a rotational noise, and slows as the vehicle speed does.

This being my first 'car' (I've always owned bikes), I have a lot of trouble hearing where things are coming from - however after a few months of indecision I decided that it's the front left wheel bearing, because:

(i) It sounds like that's where it's coming from;

(ii) It makes sense that the left hand side cops all of the punishment (we drive on the left hand side of the road);

(iii) As I decelerate, the load moves towards the front of the vehicle - it makes sense that the clicking would start/get louder then;

(iv) I don't believe I would hear it if it was coming from the rear of the vehicle.

When I jack up the vehicle and rotate the hub, I can't notice any click/rough spot/defect - however I consider that this is simply because I'm not replicating the load conditions - no weight, no speed.

I purchased a Febi bearing kit, and got ready to go to work (learn by doing).

Sadly, I didn't get far.

The Haynes manual advises that I should remove the big nut which attaches the upper ball joint to the steering knuckle, so that the brake house retaining bracket will be free to move when I remove the brake calliper.

I can get a socket onto this giant nut, but then can't get a break bar/ratchet onto the socket.

Noting that the short length of metal brake pipe is bent into a semi-circle, I thought I might be able to slide an extender bar in from underneath (and thread it through the semi-circle). I tried three different length of ½" drive extender bar with no luck.

I also thought of using a ring spanner, however after I've changed the bearing I'm going to have to torque it back up to 160ft/lbs - and I really don't want to have to guess that amount of torque with a ring spanner.

I know it can't be as hard as I'm making it - I simply don't have the necessary experience (or perhaps the right manual).

I thought I should ask the list for help.

(Thank you)

-Dan