Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:49:33 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant overflow fears and thoughts
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <carchrae@GMAIL.COM>

Once the system is bled enough to work it should never need bleeding again. Normal cycling (heating/cooling) will purge any remaining air out. Anytime it has to be bled or topped off between servicing is an indication something is wrong. From my experience denial never fixes anything. Multiple failed hoses are a symptom and I have yet to see a pressure cap fail to open at some point. Unexplained coolant loss is often the result of the coolant getting forced unseen while you are driving. This usually happens during extended highway drives or periods of extended load. The heads are being lifted off the cylinders or you have cracks and under these pressure conditions the combustion gases are getting into the cooling system. Most times the system can take this for some time and even bleed itself out but too much for too long things go wrong. The worst is when enough gas gets into the system and the water pump stops pumping. The gauge won't indicate the lack of flow until thermal cycling gets something to flow, usually steam. Coolant rising in the recovery tank with air space in the main pressure tank says head problem all over. Coolant blowing out and both tanks going empty could be a bad pressure cap not holding pressure at all.

Dennis

My van has been mostly dormant over the winter - although I have been driving it every week or two, partly for fun, partly to ward off angry lifter noises. It seems mostly happy.

But...

I drove for 2 hours on the highway/city traffic yesterday. Van was generally awesome. I was trying to get somewhere in a hurry, so was perhaps a little heavy on the gas pedal - not that this helped too much, a racing van it is not (an 84 - 1.9L). Temps were fine all during the day, (I have an aftermarket temp gauge, which was stuck at about 190oC for most of the trip)

When I got home I noticed the overflow tank nearly, well, overflowing. I thought, well, it is just hot, let it cool, then check it tomorrow. When I checked the next day, the overflow level was the same (nearly overflowing out the tiny air hole in the top). The pressurized expansion tank had perhaps an inch or so of air in the top of it.

I have a theory, yet to be checked, that the overflow to expansion tank tube has a leak/crack in it. I don't see any leaks, but I wonder if sends coolant down and, instead of drawing coolant back, it sucks air in somewhere. Or, rather, that this is happening somewhere on the cooling system. The pressure tank is holding pressure (it releases it when I unscrew it), so where else could this happen?

Am I dreaming that a $5 hose could fix my problem? I'll certainly try it as a solution. Or is this a head gasket job. I had a lot of scares last summer in that department (on a 4000km trip) with a few coolant pipe explosions - but these seemed resolved when I switched to a new pressure cap on the expansion tank. decent mechanic in regina didn't think it was head gaskets because no overheating.

I should note that before this trip I blew nearly $2k on a mechanic who put the previous new cap on it - sigh!

So, I'll drain the overflow tank today, bleed the radiator (which I assume must need bleeding unless my engine is shrinking) and pour it back into the expansion tank.

Also, how clean should your coolant look? I've done a CO2 sniff test on it, but it still looks a bit filthy to me. Granted, I did perform two coolant pipe operations where I 'captured and recycled' the coolant - as you would on the side of the road.

So yeah, I guess it looks like I need to schedule some time to do my head gaskets. Or new engine. Or I just keep creeping around and shuffling fluid/bleeding air.

What would you do? Time is a bit scarce for me at the moment. Never done a head gasket job - but I have some new fuel lines I'd like to install and why not take off a few more bolts and change the gaskets, huh?.. :)

Thanks,

Tom