Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:42:08 -0500
From:         raceingcajun <raceingcajun@COMMUNICOMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Undoing the big nut on the upper ball joint - who
              knows how?

Hi Dan,

When you are slowing and you hear the noise, try applying the brakes ever so slightly. Does the noise stop? If so you may have a brake pad oscillating in the caliper. Check the clips holding the pads in place. This can happen when the rotors get scored and the bearings have a little slack, the pads "follow" the groves on the rotor, makeing a noise againest the caliper, until the brakes are applied. You will be able to see the groves in the rotor kind of like a LP record (remember them?) Fix by replacing the pads, and having the rotors "turned". At this time you will have both bearings out and can inspect them for damage. Replace any rough bearings, races, and the seals, repack the bearings and you should be in good shape. Question, do you have a Bentley for your year model Van? If not I would advise getting one right away. If your going to do maintenance work on these beasts its a must! A Bentley, this list, and an experienced friend is about all you need for many years & miles of Vanagon bliss. Oh, and don't forget the $$$$$ tree in the back yard! ;>)

Howard