Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:21:01 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning CV
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

At 08:43 PM 4/22/2013, Jim Felder wrote: >I'll be trying this. It had better be good or you'll be prying my cold dead >fingers off of my lacquer thinner.

Diesel should work beautifully on stuff like that. It should behave like a slower-evaporating form of kerosene. It won't defat your hands and does not pose the considerable explosive/flash fire hazard of acetone (lacquer thinner). And it won't eat your watch crystal, which acetone might. If you actually want de-greasing in the technical sense, I'd follow up with brake cleaner.** Acetone is an excellent degreaser when you need to have a chemically clean surface for paint or glue prep, but it's overkill for getting lumps of grease off CV joints. And the brake cleaner spray is great for getting into corners and physically shoving stuff along.

**Just a note re brake cleaner: you've maybe noticed that brake cleaner boasts about being either non-chlorinated or non-flammable, but never both at once. One type (just like acetone) will send fumes over to your water heater and flash back, the other type is an anesthetic and probably an atmospheric de-ozonator. I keep both on hand, use the chlorinated type indoors.

Yrs, d