Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 May 2013 08:24:17 -0700
From:         Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>
Subject:      Re: coolant overflow fears and thoughts
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Thanks Dennis.

The system is definitely holding pressure and hoses do get firm after it has been running for a minute.

I'll let the air work out for a bit and then do the bubble check in the recovery tank (I presume that is the one behind the licence plate). That makes sense to me; eventually the only thing is pushed out is fluid - otherwise it must be combustion gasses or boiled coolant gasses, right? It also makes sense that any air would be pushed out to the recovery tank first, and replaced with coolant when the system cools.

I do recall reading that is it is normal for the pressurized expansion tank to not be completely full (ie, has an inch of air in it). Does that imply that some vaporization of coolant (eg steam) is a normal part of the system? If so, then I would guess some small amount of air being purged continuously is normal - but something akin to a volcano or hookah is not.

Tom