Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 May 2013 13:51:54 -0700
From:         John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU>
Subject:      Gowesty Stainless Exhaust
Comments: To: Bill Monk <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>

Thanks Bill,

Nice to know that the quality IS good. I wish I would have just forked up the money and bought the set when I had my engine out. But at the time I had no idea that the Dansk pipes were so bad. Though I am pretty sure that goWesty did not have the stainless option out at the time.

Installing is a lot easier when the engine is out for sure but I am curious how much trouble you had in installing the new pipes with the engine in. I'm told that one of the manifolds is tougher than the other to install. Did you replace all the pipes with the new stainless ones ?

-john

On 5/1/13 1:36 PM, Bill Monk wrote: > I ordered that exhaust for my buddy so he avoid his wife knowing about it. Of > course that meant installing it at my house. > First the pipes are well made and has > all mandrel bends. Thick flanges are > nicely welded on. Very nice! > The fit was perfect. Nothing like the > Dansk pipes I have dealt with before b > The kit is made to fit both Syncro and > 2wd so their tucked up tighter than > the dansk pipes or even stock 2wd > pipes. The sound was a bit nicer as > it's more free flowing. > Go Westy did a good job on this one. > > Bill > > Sent from my iPhone > > On May 1, 2013, at 1:18 PM, John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU> wrote: > >> I've used Rustoleum Hi Heat paint but as Dennis points out it eventually >> comes off. I did coat a brand new set of Dansk pipes when I was doing a >> rebuild with the engine out and it really did not last long before it >> burns off. The pipes do come with a primer but after the fact I am >> wondering if the primer they use is in fact Hi heat ? Meaning did that >> shorten the ability of the top coat to resist heat ? >> >> Over all though the Dansk pipes, from my experience, are poorly >> manufactured and often do not fit properly and fail. And, it's my >> understanding that they are the only after market pipes available ? In >> my case the rear manifold hits the rear engine mount bar at startup and >> stops of the engine ( eg the clearance is too small). If I was to do it >> again I would maybe consider paying for the more expensive stainless >> pipes that are being made, as I assume they are being more carefully >> made to fit properly. >> >> I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with the >> stainless pipes being made ? eg: >> >> http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23768&category_id=&category_parent_id= >> >> -john >> >> >> >>