Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 May 2013 23:04:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat gone bad??
Comments: To: william landsman <unclebeer@HOTMAIL.COM>

For the thermostat almost every local parts store will sell you the wrong stat. Why? Because the aftermarket stats are identified by the diameter of the top disc and weather it is a single or dual disc. As such you will get an Audi stat. The problem is that the vanagon uses a smaller lower disc that is also a different distance from the top disc as the Audi. So you need to be sure to get the correct one.

Running the engine for a few minutes the t-stat won't be doing anything yet. If the gauge reaches normal temperature and continues to climb then the t-stat may not be opening. If the engine never warms up it can be stuck open.

If the cooling system is tight and properly bled with a good cap pressure will rise quickly as the coolant in the engine will expand. This will quickly increase pressure until the cap releases it.

Dennis