Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 May 2013 21:23:46 -0700
From:         Tom Carchrae <carchrae@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant overflow fears and thoughts
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

Point well taken Stuart. I'm not deluding myself into thinking I have the skills, tools or experience of these guys. And of course, everyone should carefully digest advice you get for free on the internet. All said, I am still deeply grateful for the time all of you take here with your own experiences and knowledge.

When I got my van last summer, I had not done any mechanical work for nearly 20 years - my last stint was as an owner of a Citroen 2CV, a 600cc aircooled engine. I do enjoy the work. Climbing under and groping around for the breather hole in the transmission awoke those memories. Our 4k trip across the rockies (w/ wife + 2 small kids) was an adventure and I got way more involved in getting it back on the road, in part because I got impatient waiting for mechanics who didn't seem to know/care about it. The first break-down took a day (tow truck + mechanic), second took me 2-3 hours (taxi to FLAP), last one took me 1 hour (bought a good luck hose, hurrah, fixed during a lunch stop). Formative memories for the children likely, hopefully positive, perhaps... :) They love and fear the van at the same time.

If I have a go at my engine, it will be at least part recreation/therapy. The thought of a 3-4k mechanic bill scares me off - that should go to the Bostig fund - and I've nearly spent that much with this mechanic already, so I think I'll see how far I can get myself. Surely a stud won't break on me... I do worry a bit about how long this van has had this gasket issue (if that is what it is), but it has not been overheating, so I'm cautiously optimistic. We'll see. I just hope that I can get/keep it in a condition to actually enjoy camping in it this summer.

Tom

On 13-05-09 07:58 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > That's just the beginning! Figure $3000-$4000 by the time you drive off > with tax and all the other stuff you'll need to replace just to get a decent > warranty from the shop. > > All good advice here, but you really have to be a fearless DIY mechanic with > a decent collection of tools, jacks, jack stands, workbench, spare time, > etc., and prior engine messing experience to tackle the WBX. I'm an > experienced DIYer and won't tackle it. If you have AMC heads, then it's > been "rebuilt" before, and probably not the bottom half, only a head > replacement. > > I'm on my fourth WBX. It's in my "new" '85 van and is the original engine, > and hope it will last for one more summer camping season before I do the > Subaru conversion I'm acquiring parts for. > > The stock engines can go for a long time. Dennis can attest to that because > he knows how to take care of them and drives the flat east coast between NY > and FL (pushing 300k miles I think?), but rebuilds don't last anywhere near > as long and are very expensive. You simply can't get quality parts for the > WBX today, and they are labor intensive to fix, so it's a waste of money > IMHO. You'll likely have to get a complete new exhaust system that doesn't > fit well too (yours is 30 years old!), so add that to the cost. > > Do you know how to extract a broken stud? You will likely need to, and it > can be easier to get a new head. Alistair has a story on how he heat > hardened a broken stud trying to drill it out that he'll share with you. I > felt his pain: > http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0408D&L=vanagon&P=R38163 > > You and I are mere mortals, not gurus with real shops like Alistair or > Dennis. You can try to patch it up as cheaply as possible (and it won't be > cheap), but you will likely need new heads (of questionable quality) since > the eroded sealing surface cannot be machined. Your best alternative is to > find a serviceable used engine and start saving for a Subaru or Bostig > conversion if you want to keep the rig for the long term. There are plenty > of them around the Northwest. I'll have a serviceable one available next > winter (I hope). Note I didn't say "good," just "serviceable," and likely > serviceable for only a short time. > > Again, good luck. I've owned one of these since 1986, and I've learned my > lesson now. Sort of-- and it's been painfully expensive. Spread out over > 40 years it doesn't look so bad though, and I'm spending more again now > since I've jumped back into the abyss. > > Whatever you decide it will be worth it, since there is no replacement for > these rigs. > > Stuart > '85 Westy, fourth in a series of VW campers > > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom Carchrae [mailto:carchrae@gmail.com] > Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 10:57 AM > To: Stuart MacMillan > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: coolant overflow fears and thoughts > > Thanks Stuart. I know it... I just called a local shop and they said > it would be around 1500 to do the head gasket job, and another 500 per head > if they need replacing. Sigh. > > Tom > > >