Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 May 2013 21:36:34 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant overflow fears and thoughts
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis, I hope you hit 300k and beyond! Toyota once did commercials featuring owners that hit this milestone, but unfortunately that's not an option for you or any of us with Volkswagen. ;-)

As you point out, I've always believed the case is a wear item. It's the metallurgy of titanium/aluminum alloys--they will harden and get brittle with heat and mechanical pounding over time. It's essentially the same "forging" that hardens any metal, and they get pounded hard in a three main bearing engine.

As you know the early aircooleds pulled studs in normal use, and case stud inserts were standard with a rebuild. "Align boring" of the case was also standard due to the crank pounding out the case journals. With the later aircooleds and their WBX derivatives the metallurgy was improved to delay these problems, but the case does have a finite lifetime, which is why I believe a conversion to a modern engine is the preferred long term solution.

I abandoned the 1.9 in my '84 van after 200k just because I thought it was done even though it was running fine, but I think it would have gone a lot farther.

Stuart