Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 May 2013 07:37:29 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Crank Scoring / Flywheel seal
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@gmail.com>

Search your email for my name and the word "flange" or "seal." I dealt with the same issue on my diesel. Rebuilt an engine a while back with a scored seal, thinking it wouldn't matter. It did. It always kept my hatch dirty.

When I rebuilt an engine with that same crankshaft, I did not press the seal in as far as the old one, so that the lips of the seal are riding on the un-scored part of the flange. It doesn't leak.

Several other people pointed out that you can get the crank turned and buy seals to fit the new diameter, and you can buy press-on pieces to return the crank to standard diameter after turning and use the stock seal.

It was all discussed in detail.

If you uwant to go my easy route and offset the seal, you can cut some gasket material to the right size and make a packing to go behind the seal if you cannot get the assembly into a press, i.e. the engine is in the car or it is already assembled in the stand.

Jim