Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 May 2013 08:03:19 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant overflow fears and thoughts
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

I see this 'inline 4=Vibrate' statement often. This 'assumption' that inlne 4 vws are all vibrators....Even though 'everyone always says it'. That assumption is actually wrong.

I think this internet wisdom comes from those original Tiico motors that had internal changes done before they were sold to customers. Audi/VW internal engine parts mixed and modified somehow? Yeah, those things are said to be shakers and buzzers, according to the people who bought them....

Normal VW inlines aren't like that.

You can also find complete motors with all the stuff still attached, motors that are almost "plug and play" using all VW diesel parts and most of your original WBX harness, instruments, pumps, etc.....probably for the cost of a used WBX head or a Subie conversion muffler connection...I think the VW inline conversion route is (debatable, I know) the most cost-effective way to get a decent drivetrain into a Vanagon.....by a large sum of money...

Yah, the 2.5 Subie motor is probably a great "fit" for the Vanagon. People seem to really love em...and I guess you could buy that conversion and end up with a really smooth, silent, almost modern feeling and driving Vanagon.. . But back to the point of my post... only a few people complain about vibration in the inline VW motors in Vanagons, and these seem to mainly be the drivers of the oldest Tiico conversion packages..The rest of us...it's not an issue.