Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 May 2013 18:52:41 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: coolant overflow fears and thoughts

Yes Stuart...

Nobody has, to my knowledge, ever done an Idiot's Guide to the ABA install. The 1.8 install, those don't really need many instructions...you can look at a diesel to see how the bars go in, then put the motor in and connect the wires from the WBX...pretty much....Of course, there are a few things you have to 'adjust' to fit the gas inline to the WBX tranny, unless you have the diesel trans, too..But I don't think you can just go Online and sign up to have one done for you at a fixed cost....everyone does their own, pretty much, and most like em when they're done....

Nor is there a complete step by step simple guide anywhere to cover installing a 2.5 Subaru into a Vanagon....There are a lotta lotta written pages about the Subaru conversions, probably because those are more complicated undertakings, due to many different motors, by years, with big changes to the motors and many different ways to do all the adaptations for cooling, wiring, exhausts, etc....

You do have to do a little research when you plan on revising your "Ride"....Some of the VW motors aren't that great....I can name some that have pretty bad reputations....Hee hee. Manufacturers make crappy motors now and again, it's up to you to find out which they are and NOT buy those...Tiico really messed up that motor they built, I think....it'd have to have been really bad to get such an awful reputation as a vibrator.....

If you are sick of VW stuff, go find a used smaller GM-based conversion van...A Surfari or something....I hear those go easy 300, 000k miles and they have AWD in some...Or spring for a Sprinter and look around before you drive under anything low......