Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 May 2013 20:17:22 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      ABA into 1.9 Vanagon was coolant overflow fears and thoughts
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>,
          Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

On May 12, 2013, at 5:28 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote:

> And you can add a turbo too! The folks at FAS have an elegant 2.0 > package, > but it's way too expensive for me. Where is the documentation, > parts, etc. > for a junkyard DIY ABA engine conversion? I don't want to fabricate > everything myself and figure out the wiring, plumbing, mounts, > exhaust, etc.

It ain't a kit. As the late Bob Hoover said, YOU are the mechanic in charge.

Photos:

Work in Progress: http://tinyurl.com/czp7tvl (Note: The orange bus in the first couple pics was the model. That is an ABA into an '82 diesel) Finished product: http://tinyurl.com/bvrra5g

Parts:

'96 92k mile ABA complete from a Trek Jetta that was junked due to immobilizer problems Engine wiring harness from same '96 Trek Jetta ECU alternator hoses and coolant reservoir timing belt & tensioner windage tray 6" of the exhaust header pipe from the donor

'83 Diesel: carrier bars engine mounts motor mounts oil pan oil pickup oil filler dipstick & tube exhaust mounts bell housing bell housing dust shield bell housing to engine attachment bolts transmission input shaft seal either a diesel input shaft or shorten wasserboxer shaft 10 mm transmission to bell housing gasket flywheel clutch & pressure plate throwout bearing starter engine compartment cooling hoses thermostat housing steel engine cover

'86+ 2.1 Vanagon: intake snorkel

'98 VR6 Passat water pump pulley DLC & a piece of the harness (about 6" long)

''98 Ford Escort Zetec Air cleaner

16" 2 3/4" aluminum irrigation pipe Intake hose from some junkyard Audi that was the right shape. Miscellaneous cooling hoses from NAPA. (numbers to come)

20' of 1/16" 1x9 galvanized wire from Home Depot 20x1032 serpentine belt (no A/C, no PS.) 120amp Cole-Hersee continuous duty relay for the house batteries.

Exhaust system: custom fabrication 34" 1.75 dia secondary pipes dumping into a 2.5" collector to a OBD II extra load universal cat to a 700 oval 3 pass muffler and 3 hours of labor.

There are probably additional parts/pieces, but that'll get the engine in the hole. The most challenging part of the whole process was marrying the DigiJet Vanagon to the ABA's Motronic engine management system. You only need three wires: Power, switched power and ground. Getting those three wires hooked up to the the right places took an ASE master technician/mechanic. After he's recovered a bit, I'll get the documentation.

The only downside to this conversion is now I have to haul 2 Bentleys around. Vanagon & Jetta. Small price to pay. It has transformed my Adventurewagen into a real car. And I picked up 3 mpg as well.

Jim