Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 May 2013 08:46:53 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.0L I4 Opportunities

Interesting and informative discussion recently on I-4/vanagon conversions. Let me contribute my own thoughts and experience, pretty long response

I currently have in my 84 van a hybrid 2.0 ABA block/1.8l head running on Digifant. I read and researched all I could find as my Vanagon evolved, including helpful hints from Frank and Alstair's very informative pages. The VW Vortex forum is also a good source and now Neil's discussion site also, here: vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines @googlegroups.com

Not just because it is what I have now, but overall, I think the hybrid/digifant II inline transplant is the simplest and most effective use of time and funds, when someone's looking to improve the reliability and performance of a Vanagon....Here is my thinking, after having worked with a 1.8l Rabbit ('92) Digifant motor in my van and now with the '93 2.0l Jetta block, combined with the1.8l 8-valve Rabbit head, making it the hybrid I have had now for about 60k miles.. I did all of the work in my own garage on a shoestring budget as a first time engine swapper.

There are plenty of other ways to put an inline VW or Audi into the Vanagon, but the simplest is the 50degree 1.8liter/Digifant 'direct' install using all the Vanagon diesel parts....With all the parts in hand, I bet you could do that swap in a couple of hours.....That is what my van had in it when I bought it, and it worked really quite well just like that for a few years. It wasn't the most zippy Vanagon around, but with the diesel 5sp manual tranny I could easily keep it integrated into the traffic flow, the gas mileage was good and it was trouble free. For a cheap swap, you can't beat the direct diesel to gas inline exchange. You only need to find a diesel engine parts vanagon or the parts from one...they are around. Finding one and doing this swap....you will have saved lots of extra money and work and you will get a good end result that is 'almost' a factory product... Good 1.8l 8-valve VW inlines can be had for around $300. Common and plentiful. Cheap and plentiful parts too, widely available worldwide.

I found a '93 low miles complete Jetta ABA motor on my local CL for $300...a pretty good deal, I think, but not outstanding. ABAs are cheap, too. I bought it, having done some preliminary reading on the VW Vortex pages. I learned the 1.8L cross flow head bolted right onto an ABA block and that the combo/hybrid was a 'good simple performance enhancement' commonly done by the VW Tuner crowd. I like "proven". It's been done often and it's been proven to work well...So I decided to go that route.... My 1.8 was still fine, but I couldn't pass up the CL deal on the 2.0 Jetta motor, and I was intrigued to try the swap, for fun and some extra power...and because I had no history on my 1.8....it coulda had 300,000+ miles on it, I just didn't know.....

When I had a few days of extra time, I went for it...pulling my 1.8 out and combining the two motors. It was simple and straightforward. Keeping the Digifant II and the 8-valve cross flow head meant I had to do no messing around with different non-VW mounts, no engine bay modifications, no changes to the electronics...Simple bolt-together stuff, and the performance is outstanding.

Combining the two motors was done with the few needed new parts sourced from Techtronic's Tuning. http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=page&id=15&chapter=5 They supplied me with the proper head gasket, a block-off plate to keep the crank venting system of my 8-valve head, a distributor drive gear to use my 1.8 distributor in the 2.0 liter block...that's about it...I got some pulleys and belts from them also but I decided to not use the power steering and AC that came with the Jetta motor, so I didn't need that serpentine belt and extra stuff...

I spent about 4-6hrs swapping the engine parts around..Again, basic wrenching, nothing at all complex like Jim seems to have encountered with swapping engine managements. No problems finding any of the needed parts or information...Very common and cheap stuff. I did spend a lot of time getting my water hoses to work, using the ones I had from both motors.....my old 1.8 block didn't use the oil/water heat exchanger that is common on most other VW oil filter housings...so I had all my hoses on the bench, trying to fit them together like a jig saw puzzel...finally got it to work.

It's not the most sophisticated swap, nor is it particularly modern. But it works fine. Nothing I could see justified anything more complex or expensive for my needs or budget. I think I put about $600 total into combining my two motors..including the ABA motor. I didn't even look to see if it has "piston squirters"...at $300 for a whole motor, I don't really need to care. It probably won't make a difference..I don't need to know about Motronic, Digijet, CSI or whatever....I have developed a pretty good understanding of the Digifant that some Vanagons use and mine uses...seems fine to me and I get about 23mpg...so I kept it simple ...

enough words here. I hope I've added some to this discussion. Don Hanson I have the two Bentleys also....but I've seldom used them