Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 May 2013 22:45:56 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: GPS speed accuracy
Comments: To: george jannini <georgejoann@GMAIL.COM>

At 04:20 PM 5/8/2013, george jannini wrote: > My Garmin Sat Nav receivers display navigational accuracy between 7 >feet and infinity (lost in the woods) I can put two of them side by each on >the dash, the 2004 model says I'm within 7 feet, but a 2008 model with a >much more sensitive chip is always at least double that.

If you seriously want a device that will output Doppler data with its track data so you can analyze speed very closely after an event, the Locosys GT-31 is your baby, and it's not even expensive. Real-time Doppler speed in a GPS is either completely unavailable or costs stupid money. Furuno has a depth sounder that will do it for $80,000, but that's not a GPS.

However based on readings I've taken in the last couple hours, a GPS unit relying on a single pair of position fixes to determine speed could have an error of at least 4 mph for a single reading taken at 60 mph. However the great bulk of the time it would be 1 mph or less. I've found one (marine) unit that quotes an RMS (Root of the Mean of the Squares) figure of about +/- .35 knots, meaning the reading will be within that most of the time (66%? I forget). I think that +/- half a statute mile per hour the great bulk of the time would be fair for automotive GPS.

There is always jitter in the signal. If you want to see it, set your receiver to track movement with a recording interval as often as possible and leave it in one place for an hour or two. Many automotive-type GPS units may not show this because they are programmed to latch onto the nearest road and if they're within a couple hundred feet of a road will show you as being on it. To get them to display jitter I suspect taking them far from any roads or trails would work. I've got my Garmin GPSmap 76 collecting some data now, with WAAS enabled, using an external antenna. With claimed accuracies mostly from 6.8 to 7.6 feet, I'm finding each successive fix is somewhere between 0.5 feet and 1.6 feet different from the previous one. So far, after an hour or so of tracking, the various excursions could be covered by a fifty-foot circle.

Well now. Even as I finished writing that, our friend took a hike to the ESE at a maximum of 4.5 feet between fixes with claimed accuracy of 10 feet. It would now take a 100 foot circle to cover his perambulations. He then went roughly due north and is gradually heading WSW to slowly get back to his previous haunts; but he seems to have taken up residence for the moment about 35 feet west of them and is starting a new position cluster there. 1 to 2.2 feet between fixes.

Three different runs of roughly 1,000, 2,000, and 3,000 seconds each produced a track that could be covered by a 100-foot circle, with most of the readings occurring within +/- 25 feet of the "center of mass". I do not have any way to determine the absolute positional accuracy of the fix but the center seems to be within fifty feet of the true position.

Next, there is a factor called HDOP, or Horizontal Dilution Of Position (also VDOP but it's of less importance to us). This is a figure of merit for loss of accuracy in the system caused by the geometrical configuration of the various satellites visible to the receiver at a given time. Therefor at certain times of day in your location, the position accuracy of the system will be degraded because of the need to work with small angles (same reason the altitude measurement is only specified to within +/- 100 feet, the vertical angles are much smaller than the horizontal ones). I've been sitting here watching the HDOP go up and down between about one and four, and watching the GPS claimed accuracy roughly tracking it between 8 and 23 feet.

Third, there is a systematic error introduced by the GPS receiver and its software. If you take five different GPS units of different models and manufacturers and place them in the same location for several days, logging the positions they report, you will find that some of them have quite a bit of variation compared to others. We would say the second sort are more precise. However if you then average the logged positions, you will probably find that no one of the five gives the exact same position, and that a unit with large variations nonetheless may give a more accurate position over time than one with small minute-to-minute variations.

Fourth, at least with automotive GPS, if the device loses signal I believe it will attempt to perform dead reckoning for a little while in the hope that it will see some satellites before you notice there was a problem. Not sure whether marine units do this as well but I'm inclined to think they do.

Fifth, the displayed is always averaged over the last several readings, which will reduce the effect of outliers. On my marine unit I can select the averaging period down to a minimum of two seconds, or I can let the GPS decide for itself.

All these things affect the accuracy of the speed reading you see on the GPS.

Now some more geometry, that of the land. If you jump off a cliff, will the GPS show you accelerating to your date with Wile E. Coyote, or will it show zero? That would depend on how fancy the software people wanted to get. However at the very least the accuracy would be degraded because the altitude measurement is inherently inaccurate. I would lay (small amounts of) money on the units not compensating for slopes. This could be tested by an extremely adroit skier with a GPS and a radar gun. ;-)

Yours, David