Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 May 2013 08:40:41 -0500
From:         raceingcajun <raceingcajun@COMMUNICOMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.0L I4 Opportunities ***** Just 1 old guy thoughts!
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

Well, I guess I'm old school...........or is it just plain old? I did my first Diesel to I4 in a 82 camper, by just using what I had at hand. A 1.8 engine with hydraulic lifters. The main reason for this engine; was... I had it in hand......it ran very good (the car was hit in the rear) and being basically lazy, I did a freshen up rebuild before installing it. Rings, bearings, turn crank, valve job, etc. Just your garden verity redo! I had a running Rabbit donor car for the CIS fuel, and factory pointless ignition systems. I used a new fuel pump as I feel the pump is a weak link in the CIS system, I also put a re-man Control Pressure Regulator and Pressure Accumulator on it as both of these were in-op or leaking. Other that fabricating the fuel lines, keeping in mind the CIS is a high pressure system 75 LBS, I made the feed line, hard all the way with seamless tubing. I also had to make and air intake tubing, to tie in air intake with the Fuel Distributer. The only thing I farmed out was tying in the exhaust, I used the Rabbit exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe (with Chinese finger flex joint), the Diesel muffler hanging off the motor mounts in the rear Even with this small amount of fabrication, it was more or less a bolt in. I even got the chance to drive it to a VW school in Atlanta, and show it to the instructor. He did agree with me when I said, "This is the one Volkswagen should have made". At that time 1984 the Diesel Camper was one of the industries biggest jokes. It just plain "stunk" in more ways than one or two! I mean you could outrun it on foot for the first 20 yards, and had to go down as far as second gear to climb most "foot hills" in Georgia. Did it get great mileage....YES, but at a great cost? There are many horror stories about 18 wheeler face implants on the rear of a Diesel Camper. I got chills more that once till I pulled the Diesel but no events! Any way I loved my I4/Diesel change over, and always thought it was the way to go, on several levels, Ease of installation, parts availability, longevity, and the biggie low co$t. I know times have changed and donor Diesel Camper availability has gotten almost nonexistent. But all the same, its the way to go for me! The only drawback, My bride hated the smell...........it was months before it went away!

Note: Any one wanting to go this way and having questions, feel free to contact me vie P-mail

Howard

Subject: Re: [VANAGON] 2.0L I4 Opportunities >> I must agree with several listees here that the best I4 conversion >> is the 2.0L I4,