Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 18 May 2013 10:57:21 -0400
From:   Bill Monk <billmonk@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Rear spring question
Comments:   To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Changing stock heights springs on a 2wd Vanagon usually requires no special tools. Jack, stands, wrenches,sockets,etc..it just takes a little more disassembling but its pretty easy. Where is gets tough is if you are trying to install lift springs or even sometimes the 85 front springs. The typical cheap spring compressors found at your local parts stores are useless. These types usually come in pairs with hooks on each end of a long threaded rod.

They also tend to scratch the coating on the springs. Example: http://www.harborfreight.com/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-set-3980.html The GoWesty lift spring I bought off another Vanagon owner are a great example. He has tried to use the compressor I mention above and made a mess of the powder coating. He also couldn't get the front spring in with them as they kept getting either jammed up or something got in their way when he tried to release the tension. He gave up and because he scratched the spings up they were not returnable. I researched different options and found a compressor that really works well but is not cheap. I noticed Aleric from VA (a tool nut) had recently purchased the same one and gave it a good review. It not only feels really stable and that

the spring isn't going to pop out but makes removing/installing even the tall lift springs easy. It's most likely cost prohibitive for most backyard

mechanics but I feel its paid for itself with the amount of tinkering I do. Here is a link: http://shop.ktcautotools.com/products/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-bmw-toyota-honda

Like I mentioned its not cheap but its a lot safer. It would be nice if the places that loan/rent tools had one. Before I purchased it I tried to talk my local tool rental store to get one but they had no interest. Maybe over time it will become more readily available. Just be careful no matter what you use or how you choose

to remove those springs. When compressed they can store a lot of energy that can be dangerous if something goes wrong.

Bill 87 Westy Zetec Turbo