Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2013 12:34:18 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Spark plug wire order
Comments: To: Phil Menchions <pwmenchions@HOTMAIL.COM>

Never take plug wires off without marking everything carefully if you're real sure what you are doing.

onwire length ..depends on the set of plug wires. some have two short ones, two long ones.. the longer ones would be for the right side cylinders.

take the dist cap, and black plastic flat cover-like thing if there is one, and remove that if it's in the way. find a faint indent mark on the top edge of the dist body in about the 4 o'clock position. that is # 1. #1 is the right front ( toward front of van) cyl. 2 is the rear one on the right side.

3 is the forward one on the left side. 4 is the rear one on the left side.

counting counterclockwise from # 1 spot on the dist and dist cap .. MARK with yellow paint or something where # 1 is on the dist cap and dist body count 1 , 2 ,3 , 4 . as another check.. make sure 1 & 3 are opposite each other on the dist cap. and 2 and 4 also.

the dist turns clockwise . it just happens to work out with the way the cyls are numbered and the firing order... that it's 1 , 2, 3 , 4counterclockwise on the dist. cap.

scott turbovans

On 5/16/2013 11:52 AM, Phil Menchions wrote: > It's time to get my van out of storage, the old girl had been relatively trouble free until last summer. Bought new spark plugs at a local supplier, it turned out they did not fit snugly in the boots of the spark plug wires. In any case I foolishly did not pay attention to which wire went to which particular plug. > So now almost a year later I have the right plugs and a new set of spark plug wires. My question is how do I determine which wire to which plug? I believe each of the four wires is a different length, correct? > Appreciate your help > Phil in NL'89 Westy