Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2013 14:20:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 Manual Trans Accelerator Cable Replacement
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

I would suggest also .. if people see a gab at the aft end of the white plastic tube ...in the middle of the van where the 10mm nut and bolt is .. and you don't like the idea of crude getting in there... the white tube slides forward. that is fixable easily. at the front of the van put a small # 4 american type hose clamp around the white plastic tube an some brackets or tabs right near the front endof it, then it won't slide forward in the body of the van.

blow that white tube out with compressed air if you can after the cable is withdrawn. when feeding the new cable into that whitetube.. spray lube as you feed it in. lube the rear half too . even on a new cable, the black outer rear cable housing.

another trick I like to do ....that plastic cover underneath in front ... I like to put that on very last after the front end of the cable is fine tuned to the right adjustment point. Then Icut a slitin the cover so it can slip over the cable .. rather than having to have the cover danging there in the way a little during adjustmetn.

lube the bell crank of the gas pedal mechanism too. lube everything that slides, moves, pivots or otherwise has a moving interface. 97 % of the success here comes from the lubing and careful adjusting . putting in the part itself is not 'the real repair' .. it's the lubing and adjusting that is the real repair.

lube the throttle shaft bushings. lube the throttle switch cam and microswitch contact arm. etc.

if it moves, lube it. if it's rusty, treat it, if it's bare metal ..paint it or treat it.

scott On 5/16/2013 7:43 AM, Jeff Lincoln wrote: > Per a request from a list member here is my write up on replacing the > Accelerator Cable for a 1.9 Manual Trans (this could be the same for a 2.1 > as well but I am not sure). > > The job is a lot simpler than my written process may make it seem to be. It > should take maybe 30 min. tops - probably quicker if you're in a hurry :) > > > The cable is attached to the van in 4 places: > > > > 1. By a barrel clamp at the throttle assembly. The clamp on my van was > secured with a standard .05 allen type set screw. Yours may be different. > > 2. By a clip on a bracket on the top right of the transmission (right > is the passenger side of the van) – it’s just beyond the firewall but not > hard to get to. > > 3. By a plastic mount on the cable attached to the frame near center > and at about the ½ way point of the van. This is a 10mm bolt and nut > > 4. In the front to the pedal mechanism. The end of the cable slides > into a hole in that mechanism and is held in place by an 8mm bolt. (this is > located under a plastic dust cover) > > > > > > Here is the process I took: > > > > 1. Remove the engine end of the old Cable > > a. Make note of where the Barrel clamp at the throttle end is on the > old cable end. Measure if necessary. We want to place it in close to the > same position on the new cable > > b. Remove the barrel clamp from the old cable and remove the cable end > from the throttle assembly. > > c. Remove the retaining clip that secures the cable to the bracket on > the Trans. This is a slide type metal clip that clips onto a round plastic > fitting on the cable. There is a slot so you can get a blade end screw > driver in there and just pop it off. > > d. Fish the old cable through the hole in the bracket and down under > the van. > > > > 2. Attach the new cable at the engine end of the van. > > a. Simply do the reverse of the steps above and secure the new cable > to the engine end of the van. > > > > 3. Remove the plastic mount that is attached to the frame. > > a. Climb under the van and find that plastic mount (this plastic part > is part of the cable assembly itself) > > b. It is fastened to the frame with a 10mm bolt/nut. If yours is like > mine was, it will be very rusted. I was able to get mine apart fairly > easily using PB Blaster and a little patience. I replaced it with a new > bolt and nut. > > c. Once removed attach the plastic mount of the new cable to the frame > in the same spot. > > > > At this point you have the new cable in place from the back of the van to > the middle and the old cable in place from the middle to the front. You > will notice that the old cable going forward is inserted into a plastic > tube/sleeve (this is not to be confused with the smaller diameter plastic > tube that is part of your new cable). This tube/sleeve stays in place DO > NOT remove it. If the old cable isn’t already broken (mine was) now is a > good time to cut it. You want to cut it so that all that is left from the > middle of the van to the front is cable and you are rid of the plastic > middle mount and all the other excess parts that were toward the back. The > idea is to be sure the cable is in a state where you can pull it through > that tube/sleeve from the front. > > > > 4. Detach the old cable from the front pedal assembly and pull it > through the tube/sleeve > > a. Go to the front of the van and drop your spare tire carrier – > remove the spare tire so you have more room. > > b. Stick your head under the front left (driver’s) side of the van and > look up to where your accelerator pedal is. You will see a rectangular > plastic box and will notice the old cable goes into it. It’s just a > dust/dirt cover. If yours is like mine was several of the points where this > box screws to the underside are broken and it isn’t really secured very > well. Either way remove the screws that mount that plastic box to the > underside. > > c. You can now slide that back out of your way and see where the cable > is attached to the pedal assembly. > > d. Loosen the 8mm bolt holding the cable end in place and remove the > cable from the assembly > > e. Now you can slide the dust cover box off of the front end of the > old cable > > f. Now pull the old cable forward and out of the tube/sleeve > > > > 5. Now go back to the middle of the van and slide the new cable into > that sleeve until it comes out the front end. Because the cable has that > small plastic covering the cable should slide right through. No need to > fish it through or attach it to the old cable to pull it through. It will > go easily on its own. > > > > 6. Attach the new cable to the pedal assembly > > a. Insert the new cable into the hole on the dust cover. > > b. Slide the end into the pedal assembly and tighten the 8mm retaining > bolt > > c. Put the dust cover back in place and put the screws back in. > > > > There you’re done!!!! > > > > If the cable needs any adjustment later (mine did not) you can adjust it to > where you need it at the throttle assembly by moving that barrel clamp > forward or back on the end of the cable. > > > > Even though the new cable was…new, I did give it a little spray of WD-40 > where it goes into the small plastic covering at each end before I > installed it. I also took the opportunity to use a little grease on the > pedal assembly while I had the dust cover off. > > > > As for the dust cover mine was pretty well useless with 3 of the 4 mounting > points broken. I’ll find another one – but in the mean time I used RTV > around the edge of the cover where it meets the underside of the van. I > kind of glued it in place with that until I can replace it with one in > better shape. > > > > Thanks, > > Jeff > '85 GL (Gertie) > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus >