Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 May 2013 23:53:56 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rear disc brakes
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

There are a number of suppliers that offer kits. Otherwise you will need to be creative and fabricate brackets. Before upgrading the rears to discs I would first make sure the rear brakes are actually functioning properly and after that work on upgrading the fronts. It is rare for me to see a Vanagon for the first time with the rear brakes working properly. Unlike front heavy front wheel drive cars the Vanagon rear do provide a substantial amount of braking.

The first thing to check is the shoe to drum contact pattern. With aftermarket shoes and worn drums you may not even be using half the friction surface. Check the archives. I have written about shimming the lower shoe rests to compensate. Next is checking the rear brake pressure regulator to make sure you are getting sufficient pressure.

For the front brakes the lowest cost option would be to get the spindles and related stuff from an 86+ van. This will also be the base for any of the big brake options if you need more later.

With the Audi 15" wheels you will have to them bored out for the front and depending on year/model will need 10 to 15 mm spacers especially in front. Unless you want to increase the diameter you will need 205/65-15 tires with the XL rating. 205/70-15 will work at almost 26.5" diameter but the load index is still marginal (96, ~1565 -10%). A 215/70-14 will accomplish the same results (ratings) with a slightly wider tire. If the wheels are wide enough you can also go to a 235/60-15. This brings you up to the needed 98 load index and almost stock diameter. Watch for clearance on the sliding door and if the front springs are tired you may have a slight clearance issue with the front of the front wheel wells.

Dennis