Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2013 10:09:34 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.0L I4 Opportunities
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Ha, ya. It was a LOT of work. LOL.

Hindsight is 20/20.

In past emails, I posted my reasons for doing this swap. And IIRC, I posted some possible advantages. My only "regret" is the lump in the engine lid. If I had a shop, and wanted to blow some dough on a spool gun and another tank for my MIG (aluminum welding) I'd get serious about addressing that while keeping the engine at 15º.

But hey; if what I did helps someone else intent on doing this (i.e. ABA in a Doka) then more power to them. Motronic does away with the AFM and is a reliable system if done right; it's been used in production of many many VW's.

Even for someone like me, who had even less fabricating experience prior to starting my swap (like nearly zero experience) but has *some* experience now, I'd suggest that copying the DV carrier bars is not a simple matter. The angles are likely crucial as space might be tight. One tip in that regard though is that one could sleeve the parts before welding. I know a lister over on thesamba did this. Not sure if for those reasons, but he was successful in building those bars.

Neil.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall when you began with your conversion, Neil...and asked for advice, > maybe? I vaguely recall asking you why you were choosing to do something > different, to put the motor in there at 15deg. when factory parts existed to > install it otherwise?. You also began with an air cooled Vanagon, didn't > you?...Well, you pulled it off in the end, but man, you did it the hard way! > (IMHO) grin! > As you went along, you did get to learn to weld and to wire a motor and > you probably know as much as anyone bout the Vangaon cooling systems now. > But to this day, I wonder why you chose to do a 15 degree motor mounting > with the interior bump and all that extra work of building custom engine > mounts, etc. > > I would think, even if a person couldn't actually find and buy real VW > factory used diesel parts to install an inline in the standard way, it > would be much much easier to just copy the factory stuff from another van or > something. The bars are pretty dang simple and the mounts are still > available and not expensive. >

> ..... Also > lucky is the Digifant wires plugs and hoses from a WBX almost plug right in > to the inlne gas motor and make it run just fine....

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> And to be clear, if someone were to ask, I'd suggest they NOT do a 15º >> install.

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej