Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 May 2013 18:51:42 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Rating and my own side show to the Tire Thread...
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote:

> I am not responsible for the following comment, attributed to me by Scott. > mcneely > > > On 5/20/2013 11:26 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > > >Pretty much, get ready for the flood of tire discussion! > > -- > David McNeely >

I just had the wheels off my van. Hakkapellita C from the rear and RAO8 off the fronts...both in the standard 14sizes on steel wheels.

Both of these tire pairs came highly recommended by the list Experts in various thread-times. I concur, after close examination of my own, just yesterday... and the excellent wear they've been giving me. \

The Hakkas have been on my 84 manual 5sp van for two full years, summer and winter. The RAO8s have been on for one year only, but now have over 20k miles on them with very good steering characteristics and traction in the wet or sand. The Hakkas are expensive, but certainly worth it. They wear very well indeed and supply adequate traction (for a Vanagon) and a great driving experience. The combo of these two different tire pairs is the best I have found yet. I'll go this way again, for sure. The ride is what it is...I don't really care or know how to judge a "good ride"....the roads I encounter are usually crappy anyhow....I just look for performance and durability first...ride? Don't care about that much...These aren't the worst tires I have ever ridden on....Kumhos get that prize...I once put some of those on my Luxo-sport car and thought I had four broken springs...

Anyhow, the List Experts are right....the RAO8s or the Hakka Cs are good choices for stock sized vanagons.