Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 May 2013 19:06:27 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 14" to 16" Wheel Upgrade User Input Please.
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Totally endorse the upgrade to 16" wheels, for many reasons.  Better handling in cross-winds?  No question!  Reason?  The aspect ratio.  Tires are stiffer to lateral forces.  First time you notice it will be when having a steady cross-wind, going under an overpass of shade from the cross-wind, and then back into it again.  Huge difference.  Next thing you notice is twisting down a mountain road; tracks solid and stable and confident.  Next thing is just the robustness of having all that rubber; no more fear of blow-outs (I've had two, one at 65 on the freeway and one at 45 on a country road with the wimpy 14 inchers.  The freeway tire exchange was no fun with the semi's roaring by; and the country road one caused a major sheetmetal damage to left rear quarter above and behind tire from the slinging of the tire carcass onto body.  Not to mention impossible to find the proper 14" tire when several hundred miles from home in a small town on a holiday weekend after said events.)

Also....no issues with miles of washboard and some sandy sections, like when going with Mark Drillock to see the whales in Baja.  (Can't say the same for my shocks but they were 26 years old.  Bus Depot solved that problem.)

Finally.....the look.  Love it.  Strong.  Stable.  Solid.  Vanagon pride.

Details:  mine were the 16" tire and wheel package from GoWesty.  Arrives balanced, inflated, proper bolts and nuts for the 2WD mounting.

Downside:  the cost....of course...hurts temporarily.  Of course those GoWesty alloys add a certain something; again, Vanagon pride.  Also.....less "oomph"....tires are slightly bigger in diameter.  This has mitigated as tires have worn.  Better mileage though.  Break even IMHO.  But, the tires last and last and last......I haven't checked my records but lets assume 60,000 as a minimum tire life, probably way more.

Yes, I endorse the 16" wheels and tires on a 2WD (tintop is mine) Vanagon with no other suspension modifications.

Rich San Diego