Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2013 13:20:14 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: All This Talk About Inline VWConversions...
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

you can probably buy a 1.9NA from Quality German pretty easily. ( or at least see some pictures of one ) the engine code is 1Y, btw.

though as mentioned, watch out for very rusty engines and vanagon components from europe.

very similar to 1.6 NA , biggest difference is the block is about an inch taller. the real right way to do one in a vanagon is match the oval port DV intake manfiold to the D shaped 1.9 intake ports with welding, porting, resufacing .

< there is a version, was sold by eurospec ..with a 1.9 hydrualic head on it, made in mexico ..but still having the oval intake ports on the head, to make it more of direct a bolt-in. >

the 1.9NA is the most improvement in power, for the cost, with very minor changes to the engine installation over stock 1.6 NA. Goes a good 35 % better I'd say. Injection pump needs to be right of course. fuel milage about the same.

On 5/15/2013 1:01 PM, Jim Felder wrote: > I just want to reiterate that I put a lot of miles on my 83 5-speed. I > drive it in a state, mostly, with pretty patient people, mostly. It does > OK, slowing down to 50 on all but the steepest hills, but people just go > around. Nobody honks or flips me off. The car gets around just fine and is > comfortable to drive. It gets good mileage and is easy to work on. I do all > of my own work, 100%. > > If I were to go to a TD, which I have a couple of to rebuild with all the > work already done, it would be to be able to run a Behr underdash air > conditioner, not to go faster. Or a 1.9 NA, which I would like to get my > hands on but have never even seen. > > Jim > > > On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> yes..they are great vehciles.. >> the 82 just needs 'more' engine and a better-geared trans, >> and the 83 only needs a better engine. >> >> common choices are >> 1.6 TD, >> 1.9 NA >> 1.9TD . >> Either of the 1.9's are fine, the 1.6 TD is all right. >> >> They don't fit in our driving patterns at all really .. >> on the unsafe sideeven. >> when I first got mine .. >> I think people just like to get near it ...like that felt cozy maybe . >> even slowingdown for astop at the end of an off ramp ( where DV's are >> just fine about being at about the same speed as other cars ) people >> would be right on my butt. >> I think they wanted to be close to that brown van, like it was a teddy >> bear. >> >> I have also noticed this ... >> whole other subject .. >> I have noticed some people, one gender more than the other....... >> actually feel better driving closer to other cars. >> Mostly the one gender wants to run their own race and zoom along >> indepently ...in front of everyone if they can ..the other >> gender.....with internal wiring that is a lot about nurturing close-in >> things ....may actually 'feel better' when closer to other cars. I'm >> quite sure of this factor ..though it is not recognized anywhere that I >> know of. >> >> the navy also identifed that one gender with a natural built-in killer >> instinct makes fine fighter jet pilots .. >> their mindset is way out there...shoot that thing down 50 miles away. >> The other gender didn't really have that.. >> very good at close-in things like what's in the cockpit ..not so good at >> 'way out in front' or killer instinct. >> >> Same in driving.. >> especially with a nice cute brown cozy looking teddy bear of a van >> ....going about an average of35 mph much of the time.They just want to >> be close to it. >> Doesn't happen with faster vans ...or lighter colored ones , or at least >> not nearly as much. >> >> they just need decent power and gearing is all. >> Most poorly marketed car ever sold ...besides maybe Yugo or AMC Pacer ... >> people scooped up 82 DV's .. >> found out how awful there were...... >> VW improved the 83 by a good 40 % with just the trans , but it was too >> late by then .( in the US ) >> not many of those sold, compared to 82's. >> they are such a great overall vehicle though .. >> so we all keep them alive , all this time ! >>