Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2013 06:07:41 -0400
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heater Fan)

Absolutely, minimum two days to do it right. You need to do a lot more than just install a new motor while you're in there. All the air control flaps will need their seals replaced which involves a lot of CLEANING. And while on the subject of cleaning the entire heater box will need to be cleaned, you WILL see why when you get there. The heater core may need to be changed, now's the time, the ballast resistor may need to be changed, nows the time. The cover plate for the heater core will be rusty, clean and paint it, nows the time. AND, don't forget to glue a bottle cap cover over the end of your new blower fan motor's exposed armature shaft bushing, this is what caused the original motor to toast itself, the lovely "not so clean air" coming in the front of your van hits that spot, dead on, first. Then there's all the other stuff under the dash you will see that needs attention. All the area around where the heater box is mounted WILL be dirty and probably rusty. The bolts that hold the heater box to the firewall may break off due to rust, so be prepared to drill and tap some holes. The heater cables will need to be looked at, lube, straighten, adjust, etc. Anything else I've missed ? I'm sure others will comment ! It's a monumental task !

On 2013-05-16, at 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> wrote:

> Oh, yeah, all weekend (2 day) job. Not technically difficult, just tedious.= > I understand at a shop it will run around $1,000.00 (here in N. Virginia a= > nyway)

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 VW Westy, '00 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa, "98 Ducati 750 Monster & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 06 ~ 09, 2013