Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 May 2013 07:49:59 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: quick and dirty head swap
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <tom@CARCHRAE.NET>

I'm going to ignore Neil's petrifying pun :)

Tom,

I'm in the fortunate position of having a spare engine from which to scavenge parts, and a collection of odds and ends gathered over the years. But here goes with an "off the top of my head" additions to your list:

(oh, one caveat - with my head swap, I am purposely trying not to get dragged in deep. You know, like doing some minor work on an old house....)

- engine coolant pipes - watch out for rusty pipes around engine - engine cooling hoses - ditto on having a good look at the ones around engine - head/pushrod tube plates - what ever you call them, the pressed steel protection under pushrod tubes. The tabs that affix to exhaust bolts might be rusted off. I need to weld mine up. - exh manifolds and fasteners if needed - water pump - right on cue, mine WP is making noise and has some play. I have spare sitting waiting. - fuel line replacement - good time to do it of you haven't already? - clutch replacement - see how the job expands? - that conical gasket between throttle body and intake plenum is NLA up here. Looks like a job for some sealant. - valve adjusters - the threaded feet on the rocker arms. Some of yours might be worn badly, might be a good idea to replace, or it might not be a good idea. I don't know.

- I have a tube of "The Right Stuff" sealant in addition to the Renszoil that came with the gasket kit. I haven't decided which to use on the head gaskets. - degreasers - solvent of choice for tanking parts, brake cleaner or the like for getting sealing surfaces totally grease free.

The marble slab as a crude lapping plate worked quite well. I didn't take pics of a straight edge on lapped face, but it was pretty flat. Mind you I only lapped long enough to take the excess JB Weld off. And parchment paper worked great. No sticking to the JB at all. Has a little more heft than wax paper.

And now it just occurred to to ask - are you going to try and re-use your old heads? If so, you should check the valves (need a valve compressor or use a make-shift set up as I did) which involves visual inspection and a little measurement (see Bentley).

I'm sure there must be more.

cheers

alistair