Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 May 2013 21:25:54 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shifter "guides"
Comments: To: Jabin Newhouse <jabin_n@hotmail.com>

The ears at the bottom of the in cab shifter ride along the guides in the shift box. Of possible interest, an image comparing my '81 and '85 shift boxes:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GqW3FoA6kok/TCEN8Q7yt6I/AAAAAAAADO0/nRNiFTIKBLM/s912/ShiftHousing2.jpg

The reverse lock out is on the RH of each, but the added guide on the LH side of the WBX box may help the ear, or "winger" ride more accurately. Anyhow. Kind of a moot thing as both types of shift boxes (air cooled vs WBX) and ears on the shifter, accomplish the same thing; they help keep the entire shift linkage aligned so that it can transmit the correct amount of movement to the actual shifter on the transmission itself.

If that makes sense.

Whenever theres play in any of the shift linkage parts, this causes poor feel at the shift lever in the cab, and will likely make for some hunting in trying to find a given gear. Like when looking up at the shift box, while lying on the spare tire clamshell, if you see the LH ear missing, this may cause issues with finding 3/4 gear; the shifter *in the cab* will move too far to the right.

I've never experienced a shifter with missing or worn ears, but I suspect one would experience gear hunting if they're missing.

Some (or all?) of the list vendors likely sell parts to fix the ears.

Neil.

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Jabin Newhouse <jabin_n@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is the result of broken or worn shifter "guides" or "wingers"? What happens to your shifting? I am trying to trouble shoot and my driver side "guide" is worn down equal to the passenger side...I think this is my problem with the shifting. > > thanksjabin > '87 vanagon transporter >

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej