Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 May 2013 14:46:00 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Oil Question
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

The Vanagon operates at load most of the time and at high rpm. This along with the loose tolerances makes for high shear and thermal stresses. Oil testing reveals that oxidation is the major limiting factor for oil life in these engines. This where synthetics can shine.

Dennis, From my phone. ________________________________ From: Jim Felder<mailto:jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎5/‎27/‎2013 1:58 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Re: Engine Oil Question

I don't think it's better, I think it's very good and moderately priced. I know from many thousands of miles of experience that without the right oil (of which Castol 20W50 is one) and the right filter, you stand a good chance of hearing your waterboxer's oil buzzer go off on a hot day of freeway driving.

It has been explained to me by people who are in the business of selling oil and in the business of building engines that the waterboxer does not have tolerances that would take advantage of the synthetics' advantages. It's like putting high test in the gas tank—it won't hurt the car but it won't help it either, and costs more.

Jim